Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions? I had a larger, straight PVC attached all day at about the same angle as post pictures and my small rbta didn’t budge. I saw that a 90 degree could help and had a smaller diameter pipe
00BB3CDF-520F-4BA4-8475-89364D62905B.jpeg
so rigged another sponge and put in place yesterday. Still no movement. I twisted the tube to get a bit more light 2 hrs ago (this pic). Nada. I can see the little bugger at the base of the tube.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i can tag along....

So, best way to remove multiple (20+) nems from rock? Some of them i can gently peel,no problems, but, some of them are at very tricky places, in holes, under the ledges, or somewhere where i can get my hands into....

Removing rock is not possible, it's part of structure, impossible to take apart without destroying scape and other corals.

Hope i'm not considered unsensitive, survival of these anemones is not inportant, as long as it dont hurt rest of tank....

They got out of control, i have around 20 in sump, i have much more in tank, i have some in vase on shelf, i have some in bed.... :)

So plan is to remove them all, leaving as much as possible in sump, and one, just one in tank, since my ocellaris are not interested in hosting.....

Any idea is very helpfull....

It's no fun wake up and find anemone on my euphilia colony, or on my very expensive multiple head torch......

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i can tag along....

So, best way to remove multiple (20+) nems from rock? Some of them i can gently peel,no problems, but, some of them are at very tricky places, in holes, under the ledges, or somewhere where i can get my hands into....

Removing rock is not possible, it's part of structure, impossible to take apart without destroying scape and other corals.

Hope i'm not considered unsensitive, survival of these anemones is not inportant, as long as it dont hurt rest of tank....

They got out of control, i have around 20 in sump, i have much more in tank, i have some in vase on shelf, i have some in bed.... :)

So plan is to remove them all, leaving as much as possible in sump, and one, just one in tank, since my ocellaris are not interested in hosting.....

Any idea is very helpfull....

It's no fun wake up and find anemone on my euphilia colony, or on my very expensive multiple head torch......
To remove that many, and in hard to reach places it's going to be a process.. peel and nem cannon off what you can. I would then turn my attention to getting the other nems to move. My preferred way is a small pump with 1/2" hose. This can be aimed at/toward the anenomes and help them decide that they want to move. You could also put a piece of flat rock Over them and allow them to walk up onto it for a much easier removal. If you've got that many unwanted nem, throw the kitchen sink at them. Get them any way you can, one at a time.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes, i love nems, but this is out of control.....up to point that they dont move because they dont like the spot, they move because there is no room, they have to move.

And they have excellent taste, they will always end on most delicate and/or expensive coral. ;)

I will try to remove by hand as much i can, then i will deal with whats left....

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how I can get a nem canon mounted to this mushroom? It’s a base rock. I don’t think I can get rubber bands or string around it.

733C6853-8C67-4C5D-B5D3-C6D1B1F39B57.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how I can get a nem canon mounted to this mushroom? It’s a base rock. I don’t think I can get rubber bands or string around it.

733C6853-8C67-4C5D-B5D3-C6D1B1F39B57.jpeg
Not a nem cannon, but I have had great success fragging mushrooms off of live rock with a clean, sharp chisel and a steady pairing motion controlling it with your thumbs, taking a Thin cut of rock under the foot.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built two over the weekend for my rfas. How long do they usually take to come through the pipe? One was pressed up against the glass and I can see him extending into the tube. (He also gets some light due to being pressed up against the glass, should I black out that side of the tank?)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built two over the weekend for my rfas. How long do they usually take to come through the pipe? One was pressed up against the glass and I can see him extending into the tube. (He also gets some light due to being pressed up against the glass, should I black out that side of the tank?)
Rfa's have taken the longest for me.

I would temporarily put something over the glass where it is receiving false light. The purpose is giving them the Canon tube, That's the only way to get to light. If it's getting light through the glass it has no reason to walk.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rfa's have taken the longest for me.

I would temporarily put something over the glass where it is receiving false light. The purpose is giving them the Canon tube, That's the only way to get to light. If it's getting light through the glass it has no reason to walk.
awesome, thanks for the response! I guess I will wait patiently and put up a false wall on that side of the tank

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you!

Yes, i love nems, but this is out of control.....up to point that they dont move because they dont like the spot, they move because there is no room, they have to move.

And they have excellent taste, they will always end on most delicate and/or expensive coral. ;)

I will try to remove by hand as much i can, then i will deal with whats left....
Dude, send me one or five.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some time and various attempts, if become clear that i will newer remove them all, so, there was only one option left - the impossible one.

So, i managed to remove that rock, put it in bin, with circulation, and left it covered almost completely, lid was lifted only few mm, so i guess some light was still able to get into bin.

Not sure when it happened, but, when i open the can few hours later, all of nems were attached to bin, rock was free of them.

Not as i planed, but, i declare victory.... ;)

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hard case too.
Did the canon with the sponge before on Bta's...worked fine.
Now Saturday i bought a adhesive nem, put her in and she stayed where i wanted her. But then during the night she decided to move to the one rock she shouldn't, the GSP rock.:rolleyes:
So 90 mm pvc pipe went on Sunday morning before the Gsp opened up, but she just does not want to move.
Didn't have a Sponge so a bag of gravel had to do.
20221129_170603.jpg
20221129_170608.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back