Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems

MarkDarnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hard case too.
Did the canon with the sponge before on Bta's...worked fine.
Now Saturday i bought a adhesive nem, put her in and she stayed where i wanted her. But then during the night she decided to move to the one rock she shouldn't, the GSP rock.:rolleyes:
So 90 mm pvc pipe went on Sunday morning before the Gsp opened up, but she just does not want to move.
Didn't have a Sponge so a bag of gravel had to do.
20221129_170603.jpg
20221129_170608.jpg
Did the bag of gravel work? I have the sponges but they are a pain sometimes to rubber band. I'm thinking the bag of gravel over the anemones first thing in the morning would block out almost all light.

How did you attach the bag to your pvc pipe also?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the bag of gravel work? I have the sponges but they are a pain sometimes to rubber band. I'm thinking the bag of gravel over the anemones first thing in the morning would block out almost all light.

How did you attach the bag to your pvc pipe also?
So because that rock had a really odd shape and the pipe was 90 mm i only was able to stick the pipe on without fixing it with rubbers or fishing line. The bag of gravel i put on the top only to stop the light coming in since the nem was trying to get out of the little gaps. I just made sure i pushed all air out of the bag and then placed the bag on the top, no fixings.

I had that setup for a week with the nem not moving an inch, so i gave up and removed the pipe one afternoon and that night she started moving so i picked her up and placed her somewhere else. She is happy as now.
20230121_131125.jpg

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What am I doing wrong ? It’s been two days. His foot is still attached. Do I need to make the pvc longer? The anemone was over a foot wide.

Attachments

• 849AD609-BA7B-4D18-A31E-F2BBB1284E52.jpeg
    849AD609-BA7B-4D18-A31E-F2BBB1284E52.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 116

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I doing wrong ? It’s been two days. His foot is still attached. Do I need to make the pvc longer? The anemone was over a foot wide.
What size pipe? It needs to be able to walk the foot up it and that's a big nem

I would put a tube in there about 2" longer and make sure it's not pointed at the light. Even another 90 could work.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be about to try this on a big aiptasia-type nem I want to move into its own private box. The trick there is probably gonna be a long enough pipe, these things are stretchy.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would put a tube in there about 2" longer and make sure it's not pointed at the light. Even another 90 could work.
The pipe is 2 inches wide pvc. I will add 2 more inches to the pipe. And wait to understand you. I don’t want the opening on the pipe to be facing the light? I thought that was the point. Maybe that is my issue. I will make it so the opening is not pointing towards the light.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It’s facing pretty much right where it can reach for the light. So I should have opening of pvc horizontal to the light source ?

Attachments

• FDC74995-2A7E-43A1-82A3-A4C9E15ABF44.jpeg
    FDC74995-2A7E-43A1-82A3-A4C9E15ABF44.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 415C3AB0-22F2-4014-ABEA-85484754D7F1.jpeg
    415C3AB0-22F2-4014-ABEA-85484754D7F1.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 84

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a couple of inches of PVC. It may retreat for a day but it will head for the light soon enough. Just make sure it can't escape through the base.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipe is 2 inches wide pvc. I will add 2 more inches to the pipe. And wait to understand you. I don’t want the opening on the pipe to be facing the light? I thought that was the point. Maybe that is my issue. I will make it so the opening is not pointing towards the light.
No. You want them to climb the pipe, seaking the light that is hitting the top of the pipe. As you see, if the pipe is facing the light, they have no reason to walk. They just stretch.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. You want them to climb the pipe, seaking the light that is hitting the top of the pipe. As you see, if the pipe is facing the light, they have no reason to walk. They just stretch.
That makes more sense lol. I will increase the pipe length and move it to be flush with sand bed. Thank you :)

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add a couple of inches of PVC. It may retreat for a day but it will head for the light soon enough. Just make sure it can't escape through the base.
Sounds good that is my plan tomorrow. I need this sucker to move. I hope this works. Will update back here.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I would say it’s at 45 degrees to the light. I’ll try a combo of booth more pvc and a little more slant away from light. This thing is driving me nuts haha.
You may have to play with it. Generally if it can just stretch to the end of the tube, it will.

Also, reflection from the glass can mess with the angle. You've got the tube. You'll get it.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large "Major Eagle_Steve Nem Cannon"
Large Nem Cannon.jpeg
Catching up on this thread. Thx for a great idea!

Im attempting this now and I bought some tile sponges similar to the one in this pic. My skimmer went nuts! Is this expected or should I change the sponge out?

here is what my setup looks like now.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching up on this thread. Thx for a great idea!

Im attempting this now and I bought some tile sponges similar to the one in this pic. My skimmer went nuts! Is this expected or should I change the sponge out?

here is what my setup looks like now.

image.jpg
There may have been oil or some processing fluid on that sponge. I have never had that issue, but with how cheap things are made today, it would not surprise me. How are critters in the tank reacting? How is the skimmer now? If just a small bit of oil it should not hurt anything once skimmer pulls it out, but if things are reacting negatively, I would remove and wash sponge really well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back