Safe Cleaning of Skimmer, Reactors, Pumps & Powerheads

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean my used skimmer, reactors, pumps & powerheads to prepare for a new tank. I have read improper soaks of vinegar/water can lead to power head magnet coating damage or pump damage (where pumps become much noisier). I realize that the RATIO is important and proper length of soak.
I have read about Hydor Magi Klean. Any reviews?
Bottom line I would rather pay more for a safe cleaner than damage my equipment in any way. I am struggling to rebuild a new tank, so good care of my equipment is key.
Please advise.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time ago I used the Hydor Magi Klean - it worked well. Then I discovered vinegar worked just as well and was much cheaper. I honestly don't know a 'correct' ratio - i just kind of wing it. But typically I'd say it's 1:4 or 1:5 vinegar:water and I let it soak (or run) for as many hours as is convenient inside 24.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told by Roger from Tunze that you soak the cavity of the pump and impeller w/vinegar for a short time, like hours, so you only need a little bit. But it takes much longer for the plastic shroud to get clean, use a 50/50 on that. And yes vinegar is your friend, I am always buying some.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back