Safe or not? - Anemone

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, This guy came on a mushroom disk I received about 5 months ago (he's chased them all off) Does anyone know what kind it is and if it's ok to keep in the tank or not? It's been kind of fun watching it grow from not even visible. I'd say it's a little over 3" wide now.

155c1c470118837c5091.jpeg
155c1c49d5d869f1b6c1.jpeg

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, doesn't exactly look like aptaisia or majano. almost looks like a baby condy but can't be sure. I'd remove or QT it to be sure. A more clear pic might help as well.

rebekwl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a lot like a bubble tip to me, but could possibly be a majano. Hopefully it's not the latter!!

Boesemani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3" wide seems too big for a majano. Whatever it is cool find!

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post a couple more photos to see if this guy is worth keeping or not. I moved it's rock, so in typical nem fashion it's on a walk-about as of late and I'm having to more corals out of it's way as it does so. o_O It's a little retracted and aggravated right now because I was messing with it trying to get it off a rock to relocate it again.

The first shot is with the pump pushing it forward (and you can see the mouth).
156710503e51afa59ab1.jpeg

It stung that poor leather behind it and got into an acan as well.
15670fe82ae1951ab8d1.jpeg
15670fec148e5e7eae71.jpeg

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foot in that thing is enormous !

It doesn't look like a pest nem what so ever to me.

Have you fed it at all? Mysis, krill , silversides?

I'd think about putting a foam filter on your power head... I lost my bta and half my Palythoas in the corse it took for me to take a filter if my power head, go to the sink to rinse it clean and walk back to the tank... Literally less than three minutes. [emoji24]

I'm not an expert and I could be wrong. But it really does look like. Bta to me.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it mysis. The only thing pest like about it so far is that it likes to walk (though its seems to have settled in now) and sting my other corals and the fact the my clowns have zero interest in it. But they also have zero interest in my confirmed rbta either! :D They do however seem to love one of my larger zoa colonies :/

Good call on the foam filter. I've been meaning to just haven't gotten around to it yet.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a BTA. The stickier it is to your skin the more potential harm it could do to your other corals.
Iiiiiiinteresting! What a great way to test. It is sticky btw. That's why it's tentacles look like that in the look all shriveled like that, it had just stuck itself to me.

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to sound heartless or mean, but...

Clownfish are stupid.

I have seem clowns that host a green hammer, even though there was 6 nems in the tank.
Some times they will see a nem and host it that second, some times it will take them 6 months or a year... and some times, they will go their whole life with out hosting, even if they have plently of options.
My two ignored the bta in favor of my Palythoa Garden.

I wouldn't sweat it.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to sound heartless or mean, but...

Clownfish are stupid.

I have seem clowns that host a green hammer, even though there was 6 nems in the tank.
Some times they will see a nem and host it that second, some times it will take them 6 months or a year... and some times, they will go their whole life with out hosting, even if they have plently of options.
My two ignored the bta in favor of my Palythoa Garden.

I wouldn't sweat it.

LOL! So true. My best friend says the same of his even though they've had great options for years.

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could very well be a condy. I have one in my biocube that looks similar to that and doesnt have the colored tips that are normaly seen, they may not have the color tips. They are pretty sticky but as long as they arnt stinging your corals they should be okay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 127 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back