Safe to plug Inkbird into power bar?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Looking for clarification on proper setup and electrical safety for Inkbird's Wifi temp controller (ITC-306-A).

The manual states:...
"RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK. DO NOT PLUG INTO ANOTHER RELOCATABLE POWER TAPS OR AN EXTENSION CORD"

Does that mean the controller must be plugged directly into a wall socket?

Can anyone elaborate on this caution risk?

I've searched everywhere and found no mention or further explanation of this warning. Perhaps my electrical illiteracies are the only real issue / cause for concern here. Hoping it's just a 'better safe than sorry' mentallity or something on their end, perhaps the level of risk is equal to any piece of similar equipment plugged into power strips or extension cord, etc..?

Link to inkbird:

Link to power bar I was planning to plug it into:
American DJ PC-100A

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they can be plugged into a power bar/ power strip. Many reefers use them with the power bar.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what a thought.... but any idea why the manual would say not to?

Depending on the heaters used on it wattage wise, because they don't want you to use extension cords with heaters. That's my take on it. Eb8's/power bars are made for this application.

All Mixed Up

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in there for protection from lawsuits. Most surge protectors you find from big box stores aren't rated for high wattage applications like multiple heaters, pumps, e.t.c Same with cheap extension cords.

Power bars, and surge protectors with higher wattage ratings are perfectly fine. I have 2 of the inkbird controllers, each plugged into a separate surge protector on separate gfci outlets. No problems.

As an aside, I did set a plug on fire a few years ago on an American DJ 8 port outlet with a 300 watt heater. Luckily I was home when it happened. Haven't used an American DJ product since. Melted the plug to the outlet and had flames coming off of it when I checked due to the smell of burning plastic.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back