OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use NSW if I could get it. Lucky!

The cause of algae is a bit complicated and not even always tied to nutrients. There are many higher nutrient tanks without algae issues.

I believe battlecorals runs higher salinity and he is a vender of acropora. At least he did in 2018.. I guess I have no idea now :) You can just add some RODI or distilled to what you are buying and bring it down.
Wait so NSW is ok for tanks? It’s good even?

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A YouTuber named “simple aquariums” uses natural seawater collected from the ocean in her tank and there seems to be no problems, although, she does live in Australia if I remember correctly.
I see I just really don’t understand this algae I have been battling it for so long I assumed it was the water

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so NSW is ok for tanks? It’s good even?

It likely has organisms and food sources you wont get out of artificial.

@Paul B used it in his set up for a number of years though not so much now but not because it is bad.

As you said, their display tanks are amazing.. would they be if it was bad? They are in a business to sell corals and keep them beautiful and draw in customers.

You can run some tests on it before it enters your tank for curiosity's sake. It is possible nutrients are high but you can also have high nutrients and not have massive algae issues.

Do you have a clean up crew? How many? I don't think I see one snail in that photo.

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not wanting to point any fingers or start accusations but if you have problems that you believe may be from the saltwater I would run a deep testing as everyone else has said. I doubt the store would risk their reputation but not impossible either.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably drop them an email and ask for clarification and ask if it is filtered or UV used or anything and where it is collected from... off shore to avoid pollution, etc.

If they STORE the seawater, I believe it has to be filtered. If it is FRESH, then not so much.

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely has organisms and food sources you wont get out of artificial.

@Paul B used it in his set up for a number of years though not so much now but not because it is bad.

As you said, their display tanks are amazing.. would they be if it was bad? They are in a business to sell corals and keep them beautiful and draw in customers.

You can run some tests on it before it enters your tank for curiosity's sake. It is possible nutrients are high but you can also have high nutrients and not have massive algae issues.

Do you have a clean up crew? How many? I don't think I see one snail in that photo.
I see and yes that makes more sense
I currently do not becuase unfortunately they passed away I am still in shock my clownfish is thriving she is a designer and I payed over 400 for her I want her to have the best tank I even bought her anemone and but guess what? It died too I haven’t added anything since
still to this day so not know why

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not wanting to point any fingers or start accusations but if you have problems that you believe may be from the saltwater I would run a deep testing as everyone else has said. I doubt the store would risk their reputation but not impossible either.
Yes doing that now

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably drop them an email and ask for clarification and ask if it is filtered or UV used or anything and where it is collected from... off shore to avoid pollution, etc.

If they STORE the seawater, I believe it has to be filtered. If it is FRESH, then not so much.
Thank you I will do that

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a clean up crew will mean algae issues. You need grazers. Algae is a natural part of a reef tank, we just use CUC to keep the lawn mowed.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$400 for a clownfish is way too much, was it a latezonatus or something rare?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question is... why did the CUC die? Did you ever try a different batch? Or maybe just add 1-2 to see if they live?

High Magnesium, hevay metals, incorrect salinity would come to mind... or just.. a crappy batch of snails (happens sometimes, maybe they get exposed to ammonia or such before we bought them).

What light do you use for the nem?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for the topic on hand, yes NSW is perfectly safe depending on where it is collected. I wouldnt use anything near where I live as I am close to NYC, but you are probably safer near you. I would actually post anther thread to see if anyone else is running NSW from LAX aquarium because I would bet others in the area probably are. They might be able to shed some more insight to help you out better using the water

Testing with better kits will help to find out the real results in your tank. Anemones can be effected by varying conditions and that is usually the case in newer tanks. Stability is key for them and I believe more so biological stability made up of established bacterial colonies

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if the water is truly unfiltered sea water, you need to take it home and use it, you can not store it unfiltered because the living phyto/bacteria/organisms in it will die inside that jug and just put organics/ammonia/whatever into the water. Treat it as a living thing.

I do think it is possible whoever you spoke to is mistaken though and it may be filtered. That is why I would email them to see the process and where it is collected.

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a clean up crew will mean algae issues. You need grazers. Algae is a natural part of a reef tank, we just use CUC to keep the lawn mowed.
Yes I so wish I did :( I am just worried they will die off again
I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp and maybe some hermit crabs?
but the fact that there isn’t a clean up crew is not the entire reason for the algae I mean you should see it most days

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back