OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question is... why did the CUC die? Did you ever try a different batch? Or maybe just add 1-2 to see if they live?

High Magnesium, hevay metals, incorrect salinity would come to mind... or just.. a crappy batch of snails (happens sometimes, maybe they get exposed to ammonia or such before we bought them).

What light do you use for the nem?
Yes I tried two Different batches all died
my water parameters were fine at the time I still don’t know
I was definitely using an incorrect light the anemone bleached 2 weeks after purchase

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I so wish I did :( I am just worried they will die off again
I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp and maybe some hermit crabs?
but the fact that there isn’t a clean up crew is not the entire reason for the algae I mean you should see it most days
Those really shouldnt be dying unless there is some heavy metal contamination or something similar as tamberav stated.

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for the topic on hand, yes NSW is perfectly safe depending on where it is collected. I wouldnt use anything near where I live as I am close to NYC, but you are probably safer near you. I would actually post anther thread to see if anyone else is running NSW from LAX aquarium because I would bet others in the area probably are. They might be able to shed some more insight to help you out better using the water

Testing with better kits will help to find out the real results in your tank. Anemones can be effected by varying conditions and that is usually the case in newer tanks. Stability is key for them and I believe more so biological stability made up of established bacterial colonies
Yes please do that I would love to hear other costumers opinions
i plan to get a better testing kit soon

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if the water is truly unfiltered sea water, you need to take it home and use it, you can not store it unfiltered because the living phyto/bacteria/organisms in it will die inside that jug and just put organics/ammonia/whatever into the water. Treat it as a living thing.

I do think it is possible whoever you spoke to is mistaken though and it may be filtered. That is why I would email them to see the process and where it is collected.
Oh dear I usually store it for up to a month!

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those really shouldnt be dying unless there is some heavy metal contamination or something similar as tamberav stated.
I agree am totally stumped I have always had poly filter shouldn’t that take care of heavy metals? And I mean where would they come from?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought her in Europe and had to have her shipped so that coverd a LOT of money but she is an orange storm
I got a orange storm but it has turned black over the years except its face, only cost $60 though. In the future if you want to order there are places that are still pretty high priced and do wysiwyg but much cheaper than $400 for orange storms. They may have bred the black out finally and honestly havent looked at european prices so that is probably why it was harder.

As long as you are happy with the fish that is all that matters really.
Ha the water here is NOT clear
They probably collect it from a little further out would be my guess.

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The testing is done here are the results
around 80f
8.0 - 8.1 ph
salinity was 1.028 brought it down to 1.026
nitrate is 0ppm - 5ppm ( wasn’t clear )

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I so wish I did :( I am just worried they will die off again
I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp and maybe some hermit crabs?
but the fact that there isn’t a clean up crew is not the entire reason for the algae I mean you should see it most days

Hermit crabs are tough.

Cleaner shrimp however are sensitive, I would not add them till you can keep a CUC alive. Also cleaner shrimp do not eat algae, they eat meaty foods/fish food.

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a orange storm but it has turned black over the years except its face, only cost $60 though. In the future if you want to order there are places that are still pretty high priced and do wysiwyg but much cheaper than $400 for orange storms. They may have bred the black out finally and honestly havent looked at european prices so that is probably why it was harder.

As long as you are happy with the fish that is all that matters really.

They probably collect it from a little further out would be my guess.
60?! How did I not know that! Oh my I busted at least 100!
yes I am very happy with her she is stunning but she has always been all orange never seen black on her

OP
OP
1clownfish

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are tough.

Cleaner shrimp however are sensitive, I would not add them till you can keep a CUC alive. Also cleaner shrimp do not eat algae, they eat meaty foods/fish food.
The cleaner shrimp was the only one that survived in this tank he was moved to the display

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree am totally stumped I have always had poly filter shouldn’t that take care of heavy metals? And I mean where would they come from?
Hmm, got me there. Maybe the higher salinity has led to an increased magnesium level, but you are using NSW so it shouldnt be too high. Are you topping off with rodi as well?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cleaner shrimp would probably die to heavy metals but their shell does offer some protection.

I would probably just try CUC from a different store.

Start with some hermits.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, missed that about the cleaner shrimp. Could have just been badly shipped snails/hermits, usually more of a problem with the snails. Doesnt have much to do with the LFS sometimes they just get a bad shipment but going to a different LFS is always an option. Snails and hermits are a dime a dozen and at every LFS so it is worth a shot

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that clownfish looks like a snowflake to me. As far as costs go... new types of patterns of clownfish start out very expensive, usually a few 100 dollars and then drop in price over the next few years.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back