Safe way to increase salinity level

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon is currently reading 30 ppm, no corals, just fish and crabs and snails at the moment. Any suggestions on how to safely raise the level without going over and not harming anyone?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop with freshwater top-offs till the salinity slowly raises to the level you need.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop with freshwater top-offs till the salinity slowly raises to the level you need.
Water change with higher salt level new water in ratio.

So top off with saltwater instead of freshwater? I have to top off as my water level goes below the water level line in my sump

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is similar in size (89g system). When I need to raise my salinity, I just dump 1/2 cup of salt in my overflow, then test again in about 24 hours. Should raise it about 0.0002-3. I recommend double and triple checking your salinity though before you start raising it.

Incidentally, I noticed the ppm measurement. Are you basing this off your Apex probe? I find the salinity probe to be notoriously inaccurate.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is similar in size (89g system). When I need to raise my salinity, I just dump 1/2 cup of salt in my overflow, then test again in about 24 hours. Should raise it about 0.0002-3. I recommend double and triple checking your salinity though before you start raising it.

Incidentally, I noticed the ppm measurement. Are you basing this off your Apex probe? I find the salinity probe to be notoriously inaccurate.

Actually, I’m testing the salinity level the old fashioned way- with a hydrometer.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way -
Work out how much total needed so you don't go overboard

Throw some salt in a glass in the sump & it will take a few days to dissolve itself .......do it in parts not all at once

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So top off with saltwater instead of freshwater? I have to top off as my water level goes below the water level line in my sump
That is correct. Others have made suggestions above that will work as well. Topping off with salt instead of fresh if you wish to have the most gradual increase in salinity. I have used the salt in a glass in the sump as well and that also works out well.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will all live in an ashtray. Lol....just adjust it and get rank back on track. Top off will takes months....100 gal at 3 then add 1/2 gal salt water...you will be at 3 For a loooooong time.

I believe having levels correct is best...my two cents. Not like you have very delicate corals that do not like changes. We adjust parameters weekly to optimum with our water changes.

But up to you. Good luck.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a refractometer first off.

I also agree with Redsea, using saltwater in the ATO will work but especially considering whats in your tank, you can go faster. You could mix saltwater to 40ppt and slowly add some over the course of a couple days if you're really worried but I wouldn't be.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back