Safest method to add more Tangs

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I added the following three Tangs at the exact same time a few months ago. All three are getting a long.

Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)
Sailfin Tang, Desjardini (Zebrasoma desjardini)

The Tang bug has bitten me and I really want to add more. I have a 200 gallon tank (160 display). 71" in length.

Any high level recommendations in regards to species or number of Tangs to introduce at once to minimize fighting?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.

You pretty much have the ways and means for such. :)

Just remember the simple rule of from least to most aggressive whilst adding. ;)

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a Red Sea Reefer 750XXL. I have the same tank, currently have a gem/yellow/blue/desjardini/purple. Going to add a PBT, debating if I should add an Achilles at the same time.

Try to add multiples at the same time, and it helps (like in my case) to get them while they are small.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. Yes, I do have the 750XXL.

I would love the Purple Tang but it's from the same family as my Sailfin.

I think I've settled on the following three which are all different species and I don't have them in my tank.

Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Naso Tang (Naso lituratus)

The goal is now to find all three at the same that are small.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always best to add multiple tangs all at the same time but even this doesn’t guarantee success. I’m currently attempting to get an Achilles to coexist with a Powder Blue Hybrid but they are both being psycho. You did good by not starting with known super aggressive tangs. I would suggest you choose 1 or 2 Acanthurus species that you like and another Zebrasoma. As other have suggested you can also do a Hippo or a Naso. No matter what you choose you probably should keep the total number at 6 or 7. Here is some really good info that will help.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You posted while I was typing so I here is an update.

You can keep a Purple with a Sailfin. I have a Purple and a Gem together and they are much more similar in appearance and therefore more likely to not get along but all is good.

I’m not sure your tank is big enough to support both a Naso and a Hippo. They are both rather peaceful but both get real big.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an XL critter cage in my 450 to add a Mata Tang and a Naso Tang to a tank that already had a bristletooth, sailfin, vlamingi.
Left them in the critter cage for two days. Help both new and old fish get use to each other and they ate really well while in the cage. Would recommend it, I used an old mag float to hold them in place.
IMG_0570.JPG

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a Red Sea Reefer 750XXL. I have the same tank, currently have a gem/yellow/blue/desjardini/purple. Going to add a PBT, debating if I should add an Achilles at the same time.

Try to add multiples at the same time, and it helps (like in my case) to get them while they are small.
powder blue and achilies will NOT end well... ask me how i know.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has hit the nail on the head really. The powder blue "looks" like a peaceful fish.. but i have had a couple that were soooo hard headed.

I thought my achilies was going to be middle of the road. He is not, I saw him on americas most wanted the other day. If you ever watched that nat. geographic show about prison violence, you might have caught a glimpse of my achilies. He is beautiful and i love him... but he is merciless. I saw him building a shank out of a razor blade and toothbrush the other day....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is generally wise to steer clear of multiples from the same genus. An adequately sized social acclimation box is useful, as is a large mirror taped to one end of the tank. If you must keep more than one species from the same genus, bristles and zebras are generally more accommodating.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
powder blue and achilies will NOT end well... ask me how i know.

I tried this ..... and failed also. If you end up with a sociopathic Achilles, it won't work.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also hesitant on the Powder Blue as they seem to be more aggressive than other Tangs.

They are individuals, so there will always be somebody saying that they've done it. Powder Blue is definitely on the more aggressive end of the scale.

Back