Safest method to add more Tangs

Rich Ellsworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 xl, 108 gallon display. I have a large purple tang, 2 medium size yellow tangs, larger Chevron Tang and large Blue tang. I want to add a Gem Tang.... too much?

Rich Ellsworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 XL, 108 gallon display. I have a large purple tang, 2 medium size yellow tangs, a large chevron tang and a large blue tang. I want to add a Gem Tang.....too much? I’m worried the purple and yellows my be upset by the addition. Thoughts?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been super helpful. I’m starting sticking my 180 in a couple weeks, and I’ve been thinking of doing a small yellow and a small purple together, then in a year or so (once fish stocking is almost done) add a small pbt. The linked article has me thinking this might work out ok if the pbt is last in and on the small side.

I’m starting next week with a couple small clowns- TTM then 4 weeks observation in a 40g. I’ll get the tangs once the clowns are in obs, put them through ttm, then put them in DT after 4 weeks observation.

Other fish will be a shoal of dispar anthias, couple of Blennies, and a copper-band or a foxface.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525 XL, 108 gallon display. I have a large purple tang, 2 medium size yellow tangs, a large chevron tang and a large blue tang. I want to add a Gem Tang.....too much? I’m worried the purple and yellows my be upset by the addition. Thoughts?
Yes too much.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a lavander ,a half black mimic and a lemon peel mimic to my 180 gal that had a yellow tang that was settled in for 4 months. I added them on sunday.What worked for me was placing a mirror up to the tank. Before i did that the yellow was after the lemon peel. Once the mirror was in place the yellow forgot about the other 3. Today i left the mirror off the tank and the 4 of them are swimming together like peas in a pod. I plan to add a white cheek, a tomini, and possibly a vanpire in the next few weeks. I want the uncommon blend in my reef.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best recommendation i can make is when you ad the new batch, to also place a mirror on the outside of the tank for a few days. It helps tremendously

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST successfully added an adult sohal to my 6x3 260g. That tank has the meanest SOB Achilles ever. The tank is pretty open but there are lots of hiding spots.

I tried the following on that tank...
1. Introduce scopas tang at night after a HEAVY feeding during the day.
Result = scopas was torn to pieces but alive. Scooped him out with my hand.
2. Adult powder blue added at night. Seemed like things were going ok although he was hiding.
Result= Dead when I got home from work.

3. Majestic angel.. 12 days in acclamation box. Its an angel.. achilies ignored him in the box..
Result = Achilles went ape shiet, slashed him up, hiding in top corner, Achilles going after him.

At this point it was a battle between me and the achilies... That angel was going in the tank!!!

4. Last ditch. Qt'd adult sohal. Added about 40 lbs of live rock to the DT on Sunday. I blocked many of the popular swimming routes and hiding holes. Monday, huge feeding, dumped the angel, the scopas, and the adult sohal in there.

The Achilles was overwhelmed. He was trying to pick a fight with the new fish but he would chase one.. then see another one and chase him. He lashed out at the sohal twice and the sohal made it clear that he was not to be messed with. Achilles suffered a small fin tear.

Tuesday.. fish look pretty chill. Sohal happy as a clam swimming around. I pulled the extra live rock out this evening. The scopas is still kind of hidey... but, well, scopas.

The other tangs in the tank are a blonde naso, Desjardini, and hippo. I thought I could keep all this until fully grown in the 6x3 but I do think a bigger tank is going to be neccessary.

So, that is the long story on my tang battle.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180628_234541.jpg
20180628_234538.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys all are doing well together now. I still have 3 more id like to add the vampire, the white cheek, and a bristle tooth. Dont know if ill do it soon or wait a few months. I am leaning towards 30 days.
On a side note i dont know why the lavander, vampire and white cheek are not more popular . All three are beautiful and the price compared to the Achilles vs the white cheek is not small.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided I want to add Yellow Tangs.

With the 3 that I have, Kole Yellow Eye, Two Spot Bristletooth, and Sailfin; Should I add two or three at same time?

I’ve read that odd is the magic number. Is that when adding or the total at the end?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to add 3 do all 3 at the same time. Then neither of those will be established and try to be dominant. Also adding three or more will lessen the aggression from the ones already established being focused on one new comer

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete darkness when you add the new tangs. Meaning lights out, towels covering all the glass except the one spot where you are adding the new fish. Add the fish and cover the open area with towels as well. Leave it like this over night. Remove the towels before your lights come back on. This is the least aggressive way I have found. Never perfect but the new tangs have 10 to 12 hours to settle in before any attack and they aren't seen in a weak state by the existing fish which generally take full advantage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back