Safetop lids

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me a reference point in terms of cost please.

I talked to guy here local in houston - who got a lid from them for this tank. Similar sized. 6x3'. Cost him about 350 a year ago.
I reached out to them and got a quote for my tank... and he quoted me 648 dollars. size is 65" x 28".

is that reasonable? AT ALL?

no cord cut outs, no light cut outs - just two lids to cover the area and two doors.
does it make sense?

I am not bashing the seller - i am just trying to get an idea if that is what a lid is costing an average.

The only 3 manufacturers i know of lids are now safetop, octo and clearview.

your thoughts?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other two manufacturers are on this forum, why don’t you just ask them for a quote? I‘d imagine though, that a lot of the cost would stem from shipping and insurance for a lid of those dimensions.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@xaflatoonx I mean... you could use eggcrate as a lid and make custom sizes from it. That’s what I’m using ;Hilarious

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two lids adds a lot of money to the top. Also was the quote for the vented lid because the adds a lot of money.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be getting one for my 36"x24" with cutouts for two Kessil goosenecks and I am expecting to pay around $250-300 for the fusion style, but who knows, maybe I will get a rude awakening.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72x30 lid from them shipping this week, I paid $528
Here’s the CAD
42F310DD-D022-49FF-BDFB-0171FA6190E1.jpeg

I felt like it was a fair price as it’s comparable to clear view and I got a product that I like better (in theory) than the models that clear view makes.
I wanted a solid frame, not modular like the new clear views but wanted the frame vented for condensation reasons and clear view didn’t offer that option

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point.

I will reach out to the other two to see what i get.
650 bucks for a lid... i mean DANG!
Honestly for a tank of our size, $600 is a drop in the hat when looking at tank costs lol

I was at $10k before it had water. So everything is relative

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the CAD

I felt like it was a fair price as it’s comparable to clear view and I got a product that I like better (in theory) than the models that clear view makes.
I wanted a solid frame, not modular like the new clear views but wanted the frame vented for condensation reasons and clear view didn’t offer that option

Exactly the design I'm going for (as one lid), so my estimate is probably correct for my size. Makes sense that yours is just a couple hundred more.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you checked clearviewlids.com they have great lids

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the CAD

Attach files

i have requested the same thing... essentially - 528 is still better than 650.
did you use any coupons? or anything?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that octo company owner is here on reef2reef. He is someone who came into this market with hands on experience in DiY plastics and wood working. I would be willing to bet that octo is going to have good quality at a more affordable price but that is biased. because I know nothing of the other two companies.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly for a tank of our size, $600 is a drop in the hat when looking at tank costs lol

I was at $10k before it had water. So everything is relative

You are absolutely right.
but i would have expected these things to be around 300 price range. 650 for a lid is nuts.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that octo company owner is here on reef2reef. He is someone who came into this market with hands on experience in DiY plastics and wood working. I would be willing to bet that octo is going to have good quality at a more affordable price but that is biased. because I know nothing of the other two companies.

i got a quote from him.... he said 350.
my only problem with his design is that its not ventilated. And that would mean condensated water on the lid frame.
other than that - i have bought nori feeders, and other things from him and his stuff is top notch. Never had a problem with him.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a quote from him.... he said 350.
my only problem with his design is that its not ventilated. And that would mean condensated water on the lid frame.
other than that - i have bought nori feeders, and other things from him and his stuff is top notch. Never had a problem with him.
Interesting.
I get what you mean. I would love to see some comparison pictures with the screens in action. to better understand if, the vents are a design flaw for octo, or a marketing tool for the others.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah - exactly.

i am seeing lids like octos that are a solid trim on all sides and it gets covered with condensation.
hence the new ventilated design.
but i dont know why the ventilated will be twice the cost. I mean - the CNC machine has to go a slight bit longer to cut out the openings - but thats about it. The material cost or the spleening wouldnt change.

then what makes it twice as expensive?

joshbrinzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firsthand experience with them, so I will chime in. I went with Safetop for my Red Sea 625 after a couple jumpers. Ended up with a two piece ventilated top with two feeding doors, cutouts for my light legs, and then a cord cutout on the side for powerheads. I also added the lighting to it (BTW totally not worth it, super hard to notice unless absolutely pitch black). I think I paid like $840, which was A LOT.

The owner is super nice and they had some delays along the way. It took a few months to get my top. They were extremely nice, but I was getting a bit impatient. The final product is great and it really does feel like a high quality top. I can take some pics later too if you want to see specifics of it.

I really think they do a great job with the product, but price was a little high. I would for sure not get the lighting if I were to do it all over again. Having two pieces is really nice when working on the tank. Let me know if you have any questions!

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh - @joshbrinzo thank you so much - this is exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping to get.
would love to see pictures... if you can post them here - great - or PM me.

i am trying to justify the price to myself. and i need that extra push. The pictures on his website dont tell me how they hold up. How the spleening done? can you share how they look from the bottom where the net fits the top?

thanks again for chiming in. I appreciate it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attach files

i have requested the same thing... essentially - 528 is still better than 650.
did you use any coupons? or anything?
No coupons or anything.

I get what you mean where $600 for “A lid” is expensive but when you price the others in the market it’s the same, so unless you have a friend who can do the same thing you are stuck paying the premium from one of these 3 companies.
All of them take a long time as well, like 6-8 weeks, which shows that a lot of people are paying the price and getting product.
Like mentioned above, I chose safetop because of the single piece vented frame, which none of the others offered.

My best advice is to look over all the different models offered by each company and find which you like best.
I personally don’t like compromising my vision of my tank, so I went with who offered what I wanted, and dealt with the price rather than settle for something I’ll most likely be unhappy with in the long run, but that’s just me.

I’ve learned The hard way that for anything custom made, be prepared to pay a premium.

Back