safety question about heating element

reefer_madness69420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about safe placement of heating elements. I have a 500W heater that I plan to use as main and a 350W I plan to use as a backup. The 500W can only fit in the sump if I sit it horizontally as shown in the attached image. The height on the end of the heating element that would sit off the floor of the sump is around 5 inches... i plan to keep the water level in the sump higher than that by a few inches. Is this safe ?

IMG_2330.jpeg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about safe placement of heating elements. I have a 500W heater that I plan to use as main and a 350W I plan to use as a backup. The 500W can only fit in the sump if I sit it horizontally as shown in the attached image. The height on the end of the heating element that would sit off the floor of the sump is around 5 inches... i plan to keep the water level in the sump higher than that by a few inches. Is this safe ?

IMG_2330.jpeg
I know, certain heaters can extend past the water level a certain amount. It all depends on the manufacturer instructions me personally, I lay my heaters flat for some reason if there’s a clog somewhere in the water level drops in the sump, that’s just my opinion

OP
OP
R

reefer_madness69420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, certain heaters can extend past the water level a certain amount. It all depends on the manufacturer instructions me personally, I lay my heaters flat for some reason if there’s a clog somewhere in the water level drops in the sump, that’s just my opinion
Thanks for the quick response. Do the ends of the element with the rubber like material heat up a lot ? Outside of the height issue do you think it is a problem to have those ends touch the sump like that ?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. Do the ends of the element with the rubber like material heat up a lot ? Outside of the height issue do you think it is a problem to have those ends touch the sump like that ?
I’ve had my heaters rubber cap. That’s at the bottom. Touch the sump with no problem at all. Sometimes even get buried in the sand a little bit and it does nothing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back