Safety Stop vs bulk formalin/methylene blue question

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into fish dip methods and came across Safety Stop. For all practical purposes it is nothing more than measured out single dose per gallon portions of formalin and methylene blue. Here is where I have difficulty, I already have both of these in bulk 4oz portions but when I read the methylene blue dosing instructions for dipping fish it is clearly stated on the bottle "DIP FISHES FOR NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS" and the safety stop directions call for a 45 min dip. FWIW the LFS where I purchased the products advised a 15 to 20 second dip of the MB and follow the written directions for the formalin. What gives?

Getting ready for some new additions I would really like to give this treatment a go followed by prazi in QT however I dont know how to proceed using the bulk form. The exact chemicals I have are as follows, Fritz Pro Aquatics Methylene Blue 2.303% solution- Zinc Free @ 25ml per 3 gallon for 10 seconds max and the FishVet Formalin MS 37% formaldehyde @ 20 drops per gallon for 50 min max. Any advice for proper concentration and duration using these products or should I just toss it and go with the pre portioned safety stop?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into fish dip methods and came across Safety Stop. For all practical purposes it is nothing more than measured out single dose per gallon portions of formalin and methylene blue. Here is where I have difficulty, I already have both of these in bulk 4oz portions but when I read the methylene blue dosing instructions for dipping fish it is clearly stated on the bottle "DIP FISHES FOR NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS" and the safety stop directions call for a 45 min dip. FWIW the LFS where I purchased the products advised a 15 to 20 second dip of the MB and follow the written directions for the formalin. What gives?

Getting ready for some new additions I would really like to give this treatment a go followed by prazi in QT however I dont know how to proceed using the bulk form. The exact chemicals I have are as follows, Fritz Pro Aquatics Methylene Blue 2.303% solution- Zinc Free @ 25ml per 3 gallon for 10 seconds max and the FishVet Formalin MS 37% formaldehyde @ 20 drops per gallon for 50 min max. Any advice for proper concentration and duration using these products or should I just toss it and go with the pre portioned safety stop?
Both formalin and methylene blue have sliding dosing schedules time versus concentration....for formalin as an example, this ranges from 166 ppm for 45 minutes to 25 ppm as a continuous bath.
I’m not a strong proponent of dips. I use them diagnostically or to buy a bit of time. I have never heard of a 10 second dip- that isn’t enough time, so if the dip product is so caustic that it requires that short of a dip, you should try something else. I’m sorry, but I’m working from my phone, and I can’t check your calculations at the end of your post.
Jay

OP
OP
A sea K

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe I should have looked a little harder. Found this in one of the stickies,

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.
But, and this is a big but, it still doesnt answer the question on the time difference as stated from the manufacture. 30 mins vs a max of 10 seconds is a huge discrepancy and leads to a boat load of hesitation for a novice fish md such as myself.

Okay, back to work.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe I should have looked a little harder. Found this in one of the stickies,

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.
But, and this is a big but, it still doesnt answer the question on the time difference as stated from the manufacture. 30 mins vs a max of 10 seconds is a huge discrepancy and leads to a boat load of hesitation for a novice fish md such as myself.

Okay, back to work.

As Jay said, its a sliding scale of dosage vs time. Higher dosage = shorter dip time.

Look at the dosages for those different dip times... they aren't the same.

The 30 minute bath is done at 1 ML per Gal. (5 ML per 5 Gal)
The 10 second dip is done at 8.33 ML per Gal. (25 ML per 3 Gal)
So the 10 second dip is 8 times more concentrated (stronger) than the 30 minute dip. The stronger you mix it, the shorter your dip should be.

You could probably also do a 15 minute dip at 2 ML per gal.
or 10 minute dip at 3 ML per gal.
or a 5 minute dip at 4 ML per gal.
etc...

From what I understand, methyl blue is actually pretty easy on fish, and can actually help them get re-oxygenated.

Safety stop has you do the green (formalin) dip first because formalin is known to deplete oxygen. Methyl Blue on the other hand, does not do this and can actually help restore oxygen levels in a fish's blood and organs and is good for recovery dip when a fish has suffered ammonia burns. So I really would not worry too much about a methyl blue dip on your fish. stick to the recommendations and you should be fine.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back