Should I use “safety stop” in addition to copper and hyposalinity

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am expecting a shipment of fish today. The vendor use copper and hyposalinity (1.018-1.019) prior to shipping and during shipping. I cannot do a full quarantine. I have safety stop which is formaldehyde and methylene blue. Do you know if I should use safety stop in addition to the copper and hyposalinity or is that adding more stress to the fish without much benefit? Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I am expecting a shipment of fish today. The vendor use copper and hyposalinity (1.018-1.019) prior to shipping and during shipping. I cannot do a full quarantine. I have safety stop which is formaldehyde and methylene blue. Do you know if I should use safety stop in addition to the copper and hyposalinity or is that adding more stress to the fish without much benefit? Thanks
Congratulations on your new fish.

A SG or 1.019 is not low enough to do much for Ich, etc. And the copper depends on the level the store is using. There are theories out there suggesting that keeping fish in low-level copper (at a store) - is more likely to cause problems than not.

As to safety stop - even in their instructions they state there is no substitute for a full quarantine. Note the types of fish that are not to be treated with safety stop (there is a list). It is (I suppose) possible that it could 'help'. However, I just do not trust that dips are that effective. I would also think about how you're going to match the salinity from your vendor and your display tank. You will also need some time for that.

Hopefully this helps. And hope the fish come out all right. The protocol we recommend for QT is posted at the top of the fish disease thread (I know you said you couldn't do it - but it may be instructive for others)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
Safety stop is a dip and disinfectant and Not a solution to disease from shipping stress. There is an implication that in 60 minutes- fish are clear and would be impossible. Its formalin based and would be considered a bath at 60 minutes
Hypo would be 1.009 but can also be stressful to certain fish in which was not mentioned what fish you are receiving.
Most effective as I see MnFish just mentioned is coppersafe but if you choose not to , assure the method you choose is in alignment with typical protocol and not a short cut.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

One issue you need to manage here is if the fish are arriving at 1.019 and your tank is at 1.025, you will have difficulty acclimating them up that far. Try to more closely match your receiving tank - like dropping it to 1.022 and then acclimating the new fish. Of course, that would be a problem if you tank has invertebrates in it.

I really do not like the idea of dosing a fish with formalin right after it has been shipped, the increased stress is just too great.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back