Sailfin tang attacking foxface

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang has been chasing around a new foxface since yesterday. I'm used to it giving new arrivals the gears but the foxface has stung the sailfin twice and it continues to attack it. Will this aggression subside or should I be concerned for the sailfin tang's health? Its odd it didn't learn its lesson after being stung twice now, it has 2 marks where it was stung just from last night.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the two been together and what's the size of your system? Both are factors in deciding if you should rehome someone.
6 foot long 150 gal with lots of rockwork for hiding. I just added the foxface yesterday at 5pm the tang has been in the tank approx 3 months. I expected aggression from the tang every fish I add gets harassed at first but it never hurts the new additions. The foxface gave the tang a good puncture wound on its side already and the sailfin keeps going at it. If the sailfin would just learn its lesson and move on I wouldnt be concerned but at this point I'm afraid it may lead to more injuries. How long do you think I should wait before taking the foxface out? The sailfin is approx 4 inch long the foxface is 3 inch long.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's the aggressor that seems to be getting the most damage and it's only been a day I'd be inclined to give them another week or so before removing and maybe rehoming one. If on the other hand the aggressor looked fine and the new guy had torn fins (multiple fins torn or multiple tears in the tail fin, "A" minor tear in the tail fin less than half the length of the tail fin I'd leave is it may have been from shipping and handling and just showed up after adding to the QT or DT) I'd be more aggressive rehoming one.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's the aggressor that seems to be getting the most damage and it's only been a day I'd be inclined to give them another week or so before removing and maybe rehoming one. If on the other hand the aggressor looked fine and the new guy had torn fins (multiple fins torn or multiple tears in the tail fin, "A" minor tear in the tail fin less than half the length of the tail fin I'd leave is it may have been from shipping and handling and just showed up after adding to the QT or DT) I'd be more aggressive rehoming one.
Thanks for the advice! The sailfin tang is now for the most part leaving the foxface alone and neither fish is very beat up no tattered fins and only the sailfin tang has a wound (which is well deserved). Guess it was smart enough to learn, you don't mess with the foxface.

Upvote 0

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! The sailfin tang is now for the most part leaving the foxface alone and neither fish is very beat up no tattered fins and only the sailfin tang has a wound (which is well deserved). Guess it was smart enough to learn, you don't mess with the foxface.
My Fox is coming tomorrow, I think my little **** stain Mcosker is going to get schooled.

Upvote 0

DobeckaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang has been chasing around a new foxface since yesterday. I'm used to it giving new arrivals the gears but the foxface has stung the sailfin twice and it continues to attack it. Will this aggression subside or should I be concerned for the sailfin tang's health? Its odd it didn't learn its lesson after being stung twice now, it has 2 marks where it was stung just from last night.
How did the sailfin recover? My Blue Eye Kole was “welcoming” in my one spot foxface and I think that the Kole was stung. I know that the second image is hard to see but now it has this large white spot on the middle of its face. It is eating normally and swimming fine.

Attachments

• EFF1DBFC-C167-4EA9-B0DE-1DB37AA38693.jpeg
    EFF1DBFC-C167-4EA9-B0DE-1DB37AA38693.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 67B43A7F-5035-48A5-AB45-3ADEDBB3EC0C.jpeg
    67B43A7F-5035-48A5-AB45-3ADEDBB3EC0C.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the sailfin recover? My Blue Eye Kole was “welcoming” in my one spot foxface and I think that the Kole was stung. I know that the second image is hard to see but now it has this large white spot on the middle of its face. It is eating normally and swimming fine.
The sailfin had a nasty sting but recovered to the point where I cant tell exactly where the stab mark was. Good food and monitoring for signs of infection, it didn't need any sort of treatment to recover.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 8.3%
Back