Sailfin tang growth rate

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take a Sailfin to get full size ? I have always loved them, and it would be awesome to have one in my 110g. If I could, I would buy one that is an inch or two, and keep one until it gets big, and then upgrade to a 180g. It would be my last fish to be added once my reef is running for months and I can make sure he will be happy.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 150 reef tank for about 2 yrs. When I got him he was about 2 inches he's 5 inches now!! Eats like a pig!! Loves to swim around all day. Great personality.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow that slow ? That's awesome ! I love them just hate how huge they get.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow that slow ? That's awesome ! I love them just hate how huge they get.
I feed him algae sheets twice a week. I'm sure if I would to feed him more often he'll get big quick. But I don't want to grow fast, he will have to go if he gets to big.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409230829.390553.jpg
Here he is!!!

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a personal believer in not buying a fish that will outgrow your system. Wait until you upgrade. Too often people have every intention on upgrading, but then life gets in the way. Now they have a fish too large for their tank, but they either keep it in the tank as they feel it is still healthy (usually not the case though), or sell it/trade it in. Either way its not fair to the fish.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a personal believer in not buying a fish that will outgrow your system. Wait until you upgrade. Too often people have every intention on upgrading, but then life gets in the way. Now they have a fish too large for their tank, but they either keep it in the tank as they feel it is still healthy (usually not the case though), or sell it/trade it in. Either way its not fair to the fish.

I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna upgrade, but I definitely hear what you're saying. If they would grow that slow, I'm sure I would upgrade even before he out grew the tank..

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna upgrade, but I definitely hear what you're saying. If they would grow that slow, I'm sure I would upgrade even before he out grew the tank..
They should grow fast when kept well feed in a large tank IMO.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back