Salifert Alk... I am confused

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience from last night.
Normally I am using Elos test kist for testing Alk and Alk is constantly about 10 dKH. I am also using Seachem reef salt and accordingly to Seachem when testing with "normal" test kits I have to substract 1 dKH to compensate for the slightly elevated Borate levels in their Salt. So far so good.

My LFS ran out of Elos kits and I got a Salifert kit (expiration date: 01/15),
Tested and waited until the result was a steady pink color as required...and my result was 13 dKH. Tested again and 13 again...After a few "what the heck's..." I decided to test with the reference fluid that comes with the kit. The reference fluid is supposed to be around 7.3. Tested and my result was around 10.5.

I am clueless....
Any of you had the same experience?

Thanks
Michael

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience Salifert always measures higher than other test kits i have used.. I even went as far as sending my water away to Aquriumwatertesting.com and found my alk was super low 6.0 and salifert test was reading 8.6

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats why that check solution is provided. if that is the end result then just subtract the dif. of 3. or trade it for a new one at the lfs for one that isnt so far out of wack.

ive been using salifert tests for years at over 30 service clients and only had problems with 2 or 3. you may have just picked up a wacky one

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC aren't you supposed to calibrate the kit using that solution? At a glance it looks like it would match. 3dKH too high for the reference standard, and the same 3 dKH too high for your water.

OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys and it makes more sense now. I haven't been thinking deep enough in this matter.
I was only thinking if the test didn't match up with the the value of the reference fluid the kit is messed up but now it is more logic:

Test - 3 = reference fluid (10 - 3 = 7)
Salifert test - 3 = Elos result (13 - 3 = 10)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a Hanna Alk tester, just make sure you order some extra reagent as they only give you 6 in the kit.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to stop using salifert for the alk cause I had issues with it reading correctly back when they had the bad batches out on the shelves, I have read they have since corrected the issues and now provide a reagent with the kits but I have been using API alk kits lately and they work fine and are cheaper, more money for corals :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back