Salifert Copper Test Dilution

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting Copper Power but I really don't wanna spend 65 bucks on the Hanna test. I've been thinking, the Salifert copper test looks pretty good and seems to be highly recommended around here. The only issue is that it only measures up to 2 ppm, when Copper Power works best a bit over that. So, why not simply dilute the water sample (as much as necessary) with tap water (after testing it and ensuring it has 0 copper itself)? For example, If I'm aiming for 2.5 ppm, I could take 1 mL from the QT, put it in a little cup, then add 4 mL of copper-free water. Being a 1:5 dilution, I would be checking against 0.5 ppm.

Thoughts? If you think this is a good idea, would you recommend seachem or salifert? It seems the salifert one is easier to read but maybe that's only because it has fewer in-between options.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but this sounds like a bad idea, cuz any fish you buy now is gonna be at least $50 unless it’s a damsel.

Estonian Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the 65 for Hanna checker. It's worth it. Saves you messing around trying to guess if the reading is 0,2,5,10 etc like the comment above, all the fish cost alot more these days. In grand scheme of things 65 is not alot of money if you can afford a saltwater aquarium and to put fish in it.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else, spend the money on the hanna checker. Its so easy to use and accurate. You're just going to end up spending more money buying the salifert, then eventually buying the hanna when you realize you should have just bought it in the first place. The level of copper in your qt/hospital tank is very important and you don't want to be wrong about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back