Salifert Or Hanna for Nitrates and phosphates

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which would you recommend for testing low range No3 and Po4?

we currently use Nutrafin/Fluval and it’s accurate enough but it can’t test low ranges.

salifert is more cost effective as we’re a business but would Hanna be more worth it in the long run?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

we currently use Nutrafin/Fluval and it’s accurate enough but it can’t test low ranges.

salifert is more cost effective as we’re a business but would Hanna be more worth it in the long run?
Hanna for Phosphate without a doubt.

Apart from a digital readout, Hanna, Ref Sea, and Salifert all seem pretty much the same for Nitrate HR which is IMO as low as anyone needs to go.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna are probably better. That being said I've never had an issue using salifert. I don't need to be that precise. It'll just lead to chasing numbers and being more concerned than I need to be.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for Phosphate without a doubt.

Apart from a digital readout, Hanna, Ref Sea, and Salifert all seem pretty much the same for Nitrate HR which is IMO as low as anyone needs to go.
Would it be worth it to just keep using Fluval for nitrates then? As it does show me 5ppm and above reliably, it’s when it’s below 5ppm that it gets difficult.
definitely going to look into Hanna for phosphates.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth it to just keep using Fluval for nitrates then? As it does show me 5ppm and above reliably, it’s when it’s below 5ppm that it gets difficult.
Fluval aren't mentioned often and not sure on the accuracy. I for sure wouldn't let nitrate under 5 though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

My Hanna has never let me down.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hanna HR for Nitrate and Hanna ULR for Phophate. Dont get the hanna LR for nitrate. Definitely not Salifert. Red sea is good though if looking for cheaper, but get the LR kit.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the Fluval test for Nitrate, but I have used Hanna HR, Salifert, Red Sea, and Red Sea Pro and they are all accurate enough above about 2ppm - unless it's a faulty batch.

If you're happy with Fluval I wouldn't spend money just for the sake of it. There's nothing magic about the Hanna

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back