Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease (UNWD)

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this uwnd? It is trying to eat, but not doing well. Laying upsode down on bottom when I am not there. It has no overt bumps on its nose but was a jumper when I first got it and banged the lid 7-8 times when I approached. Still it looked fine for a while and seemed to settle in then this started.

Wrasse

Should I euthanize?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this uwnd? It is trying to eat, but not doing well. Laying upsode down on bottom when I am not there. It has no overt bumps on its nose but was a jumper when I first got it and banged the lid 7-8 times when I approached. Still it looked fine for a while and seemed to settle in then this started.

Wrasse

Should I euthanize?
It does look like it, the still trying to eat is diagnostic.

If it is getting some food, I’ve give it a few more days, just to see if it turns around.

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like UNWD? I lost another wrasse to the exact same symptoms last weekend. Both this one and that one are/were very interested in food. I'd hoped with the first one that it was a spinal injury from jumping, but with two from the same order coming up with the same symptoms, I'm guessing it's not an injury.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like UNWD? I lost another wrasse to the exact same symptoms last weekend. Both this one and that one are/were very interested in food. I'd hoped with the first one that it was a spinal injury from jumping, but with two from the same order coming up with the same symptoms, I'm guessing it's not an injury.

That’s tough to say. This wrasse seems negatively buoyant and is struggling against that. UNWD more usually shows a curve in the body and spiral swimming. The common symptom is that your fish is trying to eat, just like UNWD. There are other health problems that cause fish to spin oddly and struggle, but those fish won’t eat.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back