Salifert test results in Apex Fusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys--
When I enter my Salifert test results into Fusion, the dKH that it spits out is higher than the number from the chart in the Salifert box. Anyone else have this problem. I just enter in the dKH from the chart and skip entering the test brand, but I'm wondering why this happens.
Thanks,
Neal

OP
OP
NealH

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put in the reading from the test kit, then it will show you the reading. It works best if you put in the correct test kit.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. Apex gives a different dKH when you input the test results than you get when you read the chart from Salifert. That's the problem. I realize that you have to put in the correct test kit.

Zechirian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that too, maybe they are using an older/newer table than our instructions use? Would be nice to see if others are seeing the same thing. Have you checked the NeptuneSystems forums yet?

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was the only one!! I thought maybe the kit was on the older side even though it hadn't expired. My new kit which is good until 2019 had the same issue. No problems with Ca or Mg, just the kH.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed this for quite some time as well. It's an error in the Fusion app. The chart hasn't changed between the older/new kits to my knowledge. I just manually enter the results without selecting Salifert now.

OP
OP
NealH

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted on the Neptune forum and got a quick reply and referral to an older thread. Here's what it says:

Salifert changed their instruction sheets a few years ago, and I recall it causing a lot of confusion. On some instruction sheets, 0.00 = 16dKH, on others (the newer ones), it's 15.7. But even on the newer instruction sheet, the formula given is:

KH in dKH = (1 - reading in step 5) x 16

So, despite the newer table saying 15.7 dKH for a 0 reading, using the formula results in a value of 16.0. Another example: Your test result is 0.50. Using the formula in either version of the instruction sheet, (1- 0.5) * 16 = 8.0. Look up 0.5 in the table, and you get either 8.0 or 7.7, depending on which sheet you used.

It appears that Neptune is using the formula rather than recreating a table. Bottom line is that a 0.3 difference isn't going to make a huge difference - if your dKH is in the target range, it doesn't really matter if the absolute measurement is say 9.9 or 9.6... you want to maintain a steady level, and look for upward or downward trends. FWIW, I had so much trouble with Salifert Ca & Alk kits, that 6-7 years ago I went to Elos ( and now, some Rea Sea) kits and have never looked back.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back