Salinity 1.032 with thriving corals and weird acting fish

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if the salt used for the calibration had lost its saltiness?

Is that sarcasm? If you use sodium chloride, that generally is not a big concern, because it does not readily form hydrates, but you can always dry it in an oven first.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my calibration fluid today. The distilled water I used initially resulted in no difference between the calibration fluid and distilled water from Walmart.

That's what you would hope if using a true seawater refractometer, but it means it’s not perfectly made if, like most hobby refractometers, it is actually a brine refractometer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similiar to What you suggested. I mixed 36 gram of salt in 1 liter of water. The refractometer Said 1.024 while the Hanna Said 1.032 … i just calibrated it again as well.

What sort of salt? Aquarium salt? How do you know what salinity that gives? There’s a lot of moisture in aquarium salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have a film on top of the water. You need more agitation at the surface for O2 exchange. Pour clown looks like he's gasping to breeth.
Exactly what I was about to post.

The video you posted looks like the water surface is not moving enough to remove co2 from the water and also there is a film on top of the water which makes me think the overflow is not working correctly.

The one place the fish is swimming is where the water surface is moving, you need to fix the overflow issue and get the water surface moving much more.

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sit here and fight over small numbers or get four tests:
- Refractometer
- Probe
- Gravity/Float
- LFS

Find the ones mostly aligned with each other and use them more often and the others as an occasional gut-check. After that just make sure the two most trusted stay stable every waterchange etc.

For me - I use the Hannah checker myself and make sure my tank and new water say the same thing every time even though it is not accurate.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was about to post.

The video you posted looks like the water surface is not moving enough to remove co2 from the water and also there is a film on top of the water which makes me think the overflow is not working correctly.

The one place the fish is swimming is where the water surface is moving, you need to fix the overflow issue and get the water surface moving much more.
There is alot of movement on top now but No waves. Do i need to make small waves as Well?

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that sarcasm? If you use sodium chloride, that generally is not a big concern, because it does not readily form hydrates, but you can always dry it in an oven first.

No, it was a proverbial allusion made jokingly.
If the posts made in this thread up to this point were read a premise whether false or true could be logically built upon "doubting" the testing equipment, calibration methods whether scales (distilled water and calibration fluid), tester, etc.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is alot of movement on top now but No waves. Do i need to make small waves as Well?
All I can say is from the video it looks like you need more movement, you could try adding an air stone and see if that moves the clownfish from the top of the tank, then you will know you need more surface movement.

Also the film on top of the water needs fixing, do you have your powerhead near your overflow, pushing the water and detritus away from the overflow?

What is the turnover of the tank? Do you have a sump?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope others are as helpful to you when you post a problem
Full House Shade GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I have used a new refractometer which has showed my salinity to 1.025 but today i bought and calibrated a hanna salinity checker and it keeps showing salinity a 1.032 SG. What do i do? My clown is acting weird
you should re calibrate this tester again and test your tank after a second calibration. I found after 1 calibration it gave me a really high reading, and a second calibration it showed spot on with my other testers.

Back