Salinity Advise

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my salinity and it has been running at around 28.9 PPT which I know is low. I am using NSW so was worried about accuracy of test equipment. I ordered a new Hanna tester and its showing 27.4. I then checked the saltwater directly from the sea which is saying 26.8.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my salinity and it has been running at around 28.9 PPT which I know is low. I am using NSW so was worried about accuracy of test equipment. I ordered a new Hanna tester and its showing 27.4. I then checked the saltwater directly from the sea which is saying 26.8.
You got a calibration solution for the Hanna?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nsw can vary in Salinity. I use it often too and i got it out of the ocean at 35.3 ppt and as low as 28 ppt. All depends on if you got freshwater runnning into the sea where you collect and the amount of rain before you pick your water. I always use salt to bring mine up into the 34-35 ppt range.
I find it interesting though your corals are happy, since low salinity means low alk,cal and mag too

OP
OP
MisterrBee

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I suppose anything is possible with all the rain we get, lol. How are you filtering the water? Have you got a boat, or just dipping from a pier?
I have waders, I take it about an hour before high tide. I then leave the containers in the garage to settle for a few days before filtering off the top 3/4 from each container. When filling the containers I drop them about a foot under the surface to avoid picking up any oils or scum that could be floating on the surface.
If there is a better process I can adopt, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
MisterrBee

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have waders, I take it about an hour before high tide. I then leave the containers in the garage to settle for a few days before filtering off the top 3/4 from each container. When filling the containers I drop them about a foot under the surface to avoid picking up any oils or scum that could be floating on the surface.
If there is a better process I can adopt, I'm all ears.
I also use the SSRA app to keep an eye on reported water quality issues.

OP
OP
MisterrBee

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nsw can vary in Salinity. I use it often too and i got it out of the ocean at 35.3 ppt and as low as 28 ppt. All depends on if you got freshwater runnning into the sea where you collect and the amount of rain before you pick your water. I always use salt to bring mine up into the 34-35 ppt range.
I find it interesting though your corals are happy, since low salinity means low alk,cal and mag too
There has been a lot of rain recently.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back