Salinity help please

Epicanimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a noobie to saltwater and my tank has too much salt in it. Its at 40 not 35. I currently have no stock in the tank. I have mostly emptied it as my siphons stopped with about 3 inches left. Im gonna add fresh water to the remaining salt to see if that will work. Any help would work thanks.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re on the right track. Assuming there is NO livestock at all you should be pretty okay just adding enough RO to bring it back to 35 ppt. If there is any livestock in there and this was not a sudden change, then slowly reducing salinity is imperative.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Epicanimal

Epicanimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re on the right track. Assuming there is NO livestock at all you should be pretty okay just adding enough RO to bring it back to 35 ppt. If there is any livestock in there and this was not a sudden change, then slowly reducing salinity is imperative.

Best of luck!
That worked and the salinity is all good at the water level I like. Thanks so much

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed it in the tank, I don't have the resources to mix in a garbage can

I would highly recommend not mixing salt in the tank. You need to get a designated container at some point.

As far as mixing, it depends on the size of your tank and it will most likely vary a bit (Consider storing at least %10 of the volume of your aquarium size. If its a smaller tank consider mixing in a $3 5 gallon bucket. You can store it in 5 gallon jugs for the mean time and can be purchased relatively cheaply. Walmart for example sells 3-Gallon Jugs that can be stacked to save space. Depending on your budget you may consider buying an additional heater and small power head for assistance mixing. A good quality salt will mix relatively a short amount of time. Even still having saltwater mixed on hand is always a good idea in emergencies. However, most of the water stored if you don't have your own RODI system will need to be fresh water.

Seeing how you're starting out consider watching/reading more about cycling your tank. It's usually a six week+ setup. I highly recommend trying to read up on as much as you can if your unfamiliar. Best of Luck ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back