Salinity increase.

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what Randy is saying is that mixing 35 grams in 1 liter of water will be below 35ppt. I know that with my mix it's around 38.2g/L. If I used my salt mix and used 35g/L, I would end up somewhere close to 32ppt.

From what I have seen, the recommended ratio is a good starting point, but salt or RODI may need to be added to get to your needed concentration.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that some of the main ingredients in salt mixes contain a lot of water in the dry components. Magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate are the biggies. They are about half water by weight.

Typical salt mixes, when made 35 grams per L, gives salintiy of about 28-30 ppt.

Craig Bingman measured it here years ago for many mixes:

Thanks I've just checked my salt bucket and I've read it wrong for like a year now ahahaha. Whoops. Oh dear. i'll start checking for 35 ppt before adding it to my tank from now on. Thank you for putting me in my place

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trashed mine hanna checker, just use a refractometer and a 35ppm calibration solution ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trashed mine hanna checker, just use a refractometer and a 35ppm calibration solution ;)

Why did you trash it? There's no reason to think a random refractometer is better than a conductivity meter.

I've always been amazed that so many folks like refractometers. I recall saying in about 1992 that they were a tool of the past. Sort of like mercury thermometers.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back