Salinity Issues

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to be out of town and the salinity is not where I am comfortable letting it sit at with the ATO running. I was going to let the regular evaporation rate fall and then top off with saltwater. But their has not been enough evaporation to make a difference. I have to leave today (in the next 2 hours I know I know....) and am leaning towards adding a small container of mixed saltwater with a higher salinity so that the salinity will be at a higher level in the DT. The current salinity is about 1.024 and I have a 45 gallon mixed reef. What would be the proper conversion to get the salinity back on track?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is basically what I did to raise the salinity on my 180g recently. Just kept topping off with saltwater until it was right.

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is I have about two hours until I am leaving and I need to do a rush job lol don't have time to let it evaporate... lol

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is I have about two hours until I am leaving and I need to do a rush job lol don't have time to let it evaporate... lol
I would leave it at 1.024 until you can monitor raising it, 1.024 isn’t anywhere near concerning.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to be out of town and the salinity is not where I am comfortable letting it sit at with the ATO running. I was going to let the regular evaporation rate fall and then top off with saltwater. But their has not been enough evaporation to make a difference. I have to leave today (in the next 2 hours I know I know....) and am leaning towards adding a small container of mixed saltwater with a higher salinity so that the salinity will be at a higher level in the DT. The current salinity is about 1.024 and I have a 45 gallon mixed reef. What would be the proper conversion to get the salinity back on track?
What is your target salinity?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am being a control freak but id like to give it a bit of a buffer
Make your top off water like 1.012 or so, that way it won’t go any lower in the DT, but you also won’t have to worry about it going too high. How long are you going to be gone, and how much top-off water do you generally go through in that amount of time?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back