Salinity level in saltwater tank

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently setup my BioCube 32 and I premixed my salt into buckets of RO water and I put them into my tank. It’s now been over 24 hours and my salinity has been pretty constant at 1.020 and I’m using a refractometer to check it. I added another 1/2 cup of instant ocean salt to the tank but that didn’t seem to move the salinity up at all. What can I do? I’d like the levels to be at least 1.024. Thanks!

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you kept adding salt with no change in salinity based on a refractometer, you should recalibrate your refractometer with a 35ppt solution

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you kept adding salt with no change in salinity based on a refractometer, you should recalibrate your refractometer with a 35ppt solution
What solution would be at that ppt?

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you mixing up? 1/2 of salt is used per gallon usually to reach a salinity of 1.025 so if you are only at 1.020 in a 32 gallon system, 1/2 cup might not do that much. I would first ensure your refractometer is calibrated, and then from there I would add about 1/2 cup at a time until you get close. From there, add a little at a time until you reach 1.024 (or whatever your desired salinity is).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with RO water that it’s reading 0.

Are you cleaning the refractometer between tests?

You need to add a little then wait for it to mix for a few minutes.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently setup my BioCube 32 and I premixed my salt into buckets of RO water and I put them into my tank. It’s now been over 24 hours and my salinity has been pretty constant at 1.020 and I’m using a refractometer to check it. I added another 1/2 cup of instant ocean salt to the tank but that didn’t seem to move the salinity up at all. What can I do? I’d like the levels to be at least 1.024. Thanks!
Also, RO water doesn’t need any water conditioner, correct? It’s good to just be directly added into tank with salt?

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know there are diy recipes but I have always had luck with refractojuice or other calibration solutions you can purchase online form places like marine depot or BRS. Your LFS prob has it as well.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you mixing up? 1/2 of salt is used per gallon usually to reach a salinity of 1.025 so if you are only at 1.020 in a 32 gallon system, 1/2 cup might not do that much. I would first ensure your refractometer is calibrated, and then from there I would add about 1/2 cup at a time until you get close. From there, add a little at a time until you reach 1.024 (or whatever your desired salinity is).
I mixed 2.5 cups of salt per 5 gallon buckets

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, RO water doesn’t need any water conditioner, correct? It’s good to just be directly added into tank with salt?

Correct. As long as your filters are not spent and you are getting true RO water with a TDS reading of 0, it should be fine to add without treatment.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Many refractometer solutions are at that ppt such as BRS calibration fluid. If you cannot get it, then check the salinity with your LFS to make sure.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed 2.5 cups of salt per 5 gallon buckets

That sounds about right. I would first check that your refractometer is calibrated. If it is, then it just means you need to be adding more salt. As a side note, you should be cleaning your refractometer using your RODI water as tap water will leave residue that could mess around with your readings.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right. I would first check that your refractometer is calibrated. If it is, then it just means you need to be adding more salt. As a side note, you should be cleaning your refractometer using your RODI water as tap water will leave residue that could mess around with your readings.
Well I ended up adding 3 cups of salt for every 5 gallons and then when I got it all in my tank I added an extra half cup. When I did 2.5 cups for everything 5 gallons it was 1.020 and when I decided to do the 3 cups it never even changed

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up adding 3 cups of salt for every 5 gallons and then when I got it all in my tank I added an extra half cup. When I did 2.5 cups for everything 5 gallons it was 1.020 and when I decided to do the 3 cups it never even changed

cups! Heaped cups, level cups...Here’s an easier way 38 grams per litre.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what salt brand are you using?

Regular purple label Instant Ocean is 1cup will make 2 gallons @ 1.021-22 specific gravity. It even states that on the box. So you may actually need to use more than the "standard" 1 cup per two gallons

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt brand are you using?

Regular purple label Instant Ocean is 1cup will make 2 gallons @ 1.021-22 specific gravity. It even states that on the box. So you may actually need to use more than the "standard" 1 cup per two gallons
I ended up figuring it out. The refractometer I had apparently is in European units for some reason and not even used to measure salinity of water. So I was getting false readings. I took my refractometer and water to LFS and they tested it at 1.030 so way high and I ended up buying their refractometer which was identical to mine just in US units and for water lol took out 5 gallons of salt water put in 5 gallons of RO water and I’m at 1.025 now :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up figuring it out. The refractometer I had apparently is in European units for some reason and not even used to measure salinity of water. So I was getting false readings. I took my refractometer and water to LFS and they tested it at 1.030 so way high and I ended up buying their refractometer which was identical to mine just in US units and for water lol took out 5 gallons of salt water put in 5 gallons of RO water and I’m at 1.025 now :)

European units? Europeans measure salinity the same as us. lol

Might be a problem refractometer for many reasons, and might not be for salinity of seawater for sure. But not because its European. lol

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
European units? Europeans measure salinity the same as us. lol

Might be a problem refractometer for many reasons, and might not be for salinity of seawater for sure. But not because its European. lol

^^^What Randy said!!!^^^

FWIW - you should calibrate your refractometer using a solution that is at 35ppt (1.026) and NOT RODI water. I use Pinpoint calibration fluid. It's inexpensive and if properly stored will last a very long time. Whenever you calibrate an instrument you will get the most accurate end result using a known source that is as close as possible to your desired end point as possible.

Also - no more mixing salt directly in the tank! Once you have living creatures in there adding dry salt directly to the water can really irritate most of them. That's the reason about 99% of us have a dedicated mixing barrel somewhere around the house! Mine is a 55g barrel that I've used for 30+ years now. It takes ~ 1 50g bag of IO or IORC + 6 cups to = 1.025 for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back