Salinity probe calibration question

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a difficult time getting my probe calibrated for my Hydros X10, and had a question that seems to be overlooked in my back and forth with Coralvue. They seem to think it’s a calibration fluid issue. My tank is 35ppt according to my Milwaukee digital refractometer, and was 35.5ppt on my last ICP test.

Here’s the question- I have 28ppt and 35ppt calibration fluids. Does a refractometer accurately read these? My Milwaukee is reading them both at 28ppt and 35ppt respectively, so if that’s the case, does this mean that the fluids are fine? Just didn’t know if the fluids read correctly on a refractometer or if they could actually be bad…

Sorry if that’s a bit confusing… Thanks.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a difficult time getting my probe calibrated for my Hydros X10, and had a question that seems to be overlooked in my back and forth with Coralvue. They seem to think it’s a calibration fluid issue. My tank is 35ppt according to my Milwaukee digital refractometer, and was 35.5ppt on my last ICP test.

Here’s the question- I have 28ppt and 35ppt calibration fluids. Does a refractometer accurately read these? My Milwaukee is reading them both at 28ppt and 35ppt respectively, so if that’s the case, does this mean that the fluids are fine? Just didn’t know if the fluids read correctly on a refractometer or if they could actually be bad…

ICP tests can't always be trusted for salinity from what I read. Refractometers should be your go-to source of truth when properly calibrated, check out this article by @Randy Holmes-Farley if you have doubts on the quality of your calibration solutions: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would depend on what the calibration solution was made to. Randy's DIY is only good for one measuring device. A commercial purchased one might be. Does it state what it reads? ie
1.0264 Specific Gravity
1.3394 Refractive Index
53 mS/cm at 25 deg C

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on what the calibration solution was made to. Randy's DIY is only good for one measuring device. A commercial purchased one might be. Does it state what it reads? ie
1.0264 Specific Gravity
1.3394 Refractive Index
53 mS/cm at 25 deg C
This is the solution.

Also have it in 28ppt

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the solution.

Also have it in 28ppt

"For precise calibration of refractometers, hydrometers, and salinity/conductivity equipment,"

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For precise calibration of refractometers, hydrometers, and salinity/conductivity equipment,"
That’s what I saw as well. So if all else is equal, and a digital refractometer confirms both 35ppt and 28ppt, and the probe isn’t holding calibration, then it’s likely a probe issue I’m assuming? I’m being told it’s most likely the calibration fluid being inaccurate, but I’m not inclined to think that way at this point.

Back