Salinity Probe in Display Tank or Sump

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

I've read where the Apex Salinity probe can be finicky, and I'm trying to figure out the best location for it. In my sump, the area with the least micro-bubbles is the chamber my Vectra L2 pump is. Would this be a suitable location for the salinity probe? Would pH and ORP be ok there as well?

My worry is the DC pump causing some sort of EMI, and throwing the probes off. The chamber is small. Would putting the probes in the main display, behind the return nozzle be a better place?

Appreciate any advice.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

I've read where the Apex Salinity probe can be finicky, and I'm trying to figure out the best location for it. In my sump, the area with the least micro-bubbles is the chamber my Vectra L2 pump is. Would this be a suitable location for the salinity probe? Would pH and ORP be ok there as well?

My worry is the DC pump causing some sort of EMI, and throwing the probes off. The chamber is small. Would putting the probes in the main display, behind the return nozzle be a better place?

Appreciate any advice.

I would never put probes in my display tank. There is just to much of everything in my tank.
Too much light which means the growth of everything on the probes.
Too many critters to get into/onto the probes.
Too much flow, that shortens the life of the probes in my experience.
And lastly they are a visible eyesore.

My probes are in a DIY hanging enclosure on my sump. It is solid white PVC type material with holes drilled in the top for the probes to just drop into and rest on the fatter part of the probe. The enclosure top can come off to clean out the inside. The sides have about 40 tiny 1/8" holes drilled along the sides and bottom. The light getting in is almost zero, so almost nothing will grow inside. The flow is slow due to the holes and of course the small holes keep out most things including bubbles. The only probe I leave outside of the enclosure is the DO Probe.

As for EMI I would doubt that would be a problem unless the probes are real close to the motor.
I have never had an issue with EMI but I don't use an Apex, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put my probes into my RDSB. No light, no bubbles ...... occasionally a fan worm decides to settle on the business end of a probe, which throws off the reading, but that’s rare and easily remedied.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in the return. Physically a few inches from the DC pump, Nepture COR20.
I run it away from the 120V cables and the cable to the pump. A few inches is plenty. If you must cross one of these do so at a right angle, 90 degrees. Don't run it parallel to these cables. The pump is probably the worst offender in my situation since it's current draw is significant.
The low-level cables such as the other probes will not couple since they don't have any significant current flow.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for sump look for an area with low flow and away from interference from pumps.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temp and PH in my overflow box. The box is 12x12x48" long. I have the same probes in my sump which has no light.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Just a thought

I’m sure you know, but make sure if you have an ATO the sensor is before that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back