Salinity probe problems looking for solutions and fixes with a footnote suggestion

tjs1200

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on Neptune System Community, I got a few views but no replies

I recently added a sump and have been running the Apex system for about 8 months, while making the transition I soaked the probes in vinegar and water, setup the sump and switched the probes and began to calibrate. The salinity probe would not calibrate in automatic mode (probably due to being outside of parameters), so off to the forums I went to investigate. here is what I found
I manually calibrated the probe and switched to TC factor 2.2, result was a reading of 68 ppt and upon recalibrating 45 ppt, all testing was done at sump temperature.
I used a hanna salinity tester (calibrated to insure accuracy) the sump reading was 35.5 ppt
I made sure that there were no air bubbles in the probe and placed it in the return bin of the sump, Apex reading currently reading 42.8 ppt actual 34.9 per Hanna
I purchased another probe in case I damaged the original during the transition, it is due to arrive this week.

Now my suggestion, it seems that several posts relating to the salinity probe have had the same issues of salinity readings being off by an unacceptable margin. A possible future feature for Fusion could be the ability to manually set the calibration to where the user has verified its actually value, much like that in calibrating the temperature probe.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s notorious for it, I use a Hanna digital checker for accuracy and Apex just to monitor.

The only way I can get it to read anything close, is do manual calibration and when it says to put the probe in the solution, I put it back into the tank water. Then it normally reads something close to something I trust.

And there should be an adjustment button or something I think like you suggest, to adjust any error margin.

Upvote 0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of calibration solution are you using? The Neptune pouches?
If you look at other conductivity probe solutions outside of the aquarium world, you'll notice that none of them come in aluminum pouches. I believe that sticking a conductivity probe in the metal pouch is what causes so many people issues w calibration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tjs1200

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the neptune pouches,

I have also tried to the calibrate in the sump to get close, it is still about ten parts higher.

I haven't tried any other calibration fluids, but the aluminum pouches could be a problem. When the new probe gets here I test with the fluid in a different container.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tjs1200

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech support called me after requesting support, he rebooted the system and we recalibrated the salinity probe, we are with .8 of the reading on the hanna tester, which is better then it was, I will let the probe settle then try to recalibrate it.

Upvote 0
Back