Salinity problem

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out curiosity I’ve got a auto top up but my salinity is still fluctuating I’ll do a water change and get the salt back to 0.26 but within two days it’s dropped to 0.22 and not sure if the skimmer is pulling more then it should but dunno how to keep it stable any ideas ?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much ATO water do you go thru in a day?
Might want to looks for leaks. there is not much that would make your salinity fall that much that fast.
I don't think your skimmer will pull salt out of your tank.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much ATO water do you go thru in a day?
Might want to looks for leaks. there is not much that would make your salinity fall that much that fast.
I don't think your skimmer will pull salt out of your tank.
Am going through at least 10 litres of RO a week but it is a 250L tank I’ve checked for leaks and seems sound. This is the first time I’ve struggled with salinity since starting in the marine hobbie over a year ago I do think that my auto top up sensor is faulty tho cos it will click on then go of and within five minutes it’s goin again I have to turn it off mid week while am at work to save the ro

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am going through at least 10 litres of RO a week but it is a 250L tank I’ve checked for leaks and seems sound. This is the first time I’ve struggled with salinity since starting in the marine hobbie over a year ago I do think that my auto top up sensor is faulty tho cos it will click on then go of and within five minutes it’s goin again I have to turn it off mid week while am at work to save the ro
Does your ATO have a check valve in it? The check valve would prevent back flow. Not saying that back flow is your issue but it could be a factor. It would be easily recognizable because your ATO reservoir might overflow if it sits lower than where the top off is adding water.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acting up then that's likely the culprit. What ATO system do you have? If it's one that uses an optical sensor I'd soak it in some vinegar or citric acid and monitor it for a few days.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your ATO have a check valve in it? The check valve would prevent back flow. Not saying that back flow is your issue but it could be a factor. It would be easily recognizable because your ATO reservoir might overflow if it sits lower than where the top off is adding water.
No I did have that issue at first when a got the new tank cos I’d never used a ato before and my first tank was a 60L but since watching video and stuff the RO chamber on the sump goes right to the top to prevent over filling n stuff and I monitor it every day just can’t understand why am getting unstable salinity. I’ve never had this my reading have always been 1.026 and it’s always been that. But Ano its effecting the tank now cos my corals look ticked off all the time luckily enough it’s been a gradual drop cos my blood and cleaner shrimp hasn’t moulted prematurely.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acting up then that's likely the culprit. What ATO system do you have? If it's one that uses an optical sensor I'd soak it in some vinegar or citric acid and monitor it for a few days.
I have a aqua medic refill system pro
And might have to either try it or get something else.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. That seems like a little much for a week for a 66 gal. have you noticed your water level change at all?
My display tank has stayed at the same level and I’ve got marks on my sump for running and off and it does drop past my mark a little but then the ato kicks in and puts it back level

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watcha mean as in what am testing wrong?

Yes. It takes a large amount of fresh water added to the tank to change sg = 1.026 to 1.022. It would take adding 15 gallons to a 100 gallon tank.

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you calibrate your salinity checker. I pull pretty wet skim and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Calibrated my Hanna for a water change and I was at 32 ppt vs the 35 it was showing before.
I topped off with salt water for a day to pull it back up

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It takes a large amount of fresh water added to the tank to change sg = 1.026 to 1.022. It would take adding 15 gallons to a 100 gallon tank.
So what am I doing wrong then I go to my lfs every week for my salinity and my water parameters checked on there machines and my parameters are fine but my salinity says the same as when I test at home I’ve never had issues like this before.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you calibrate your salinity checker. I pull pretty wet skim and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Calibrated my Hanna for a water change and I was at 32 ppt vs the 35 it was showing before.
I topped off with salt water for a day to pull it back up
Am gonna invest in a decent one not the ****** one I’ve got

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the check valve that would create a problem “that’s to stop a back siphon” it’s the siphon break that you need.. I use a tee on my tank cause the inline ones come with a tiny hole that gets clogged and then it keeps dumping fresh water in.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what am I doing wrong then I go to my lfs every week for my salinity and my water parameters checked on there machines and my parameters are fine but my salinity says the same as when I test at home I’ve never had issues like this before.

Trusting an lfs to do testing can be risky.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s all on a proper spin test machine

Well, unless you removed 15% of the tank water here and replaced by fresh in between those two measurements, it is wrong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back