Salinity Question While Combatting Ich

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Purple Tang two weeks ago and it is battling ick. I am treating with Polyp Lab Medic and this is my question: what is the lowest salinity level to maintain my nems, leathers and mushroomes?
I have lowered it to 1.020 and am seeking opinions, as to whether I could/should bring it down lower and even if this will make a positive difference?
My 120 is mature and all other fish are fine. The Purple Tang is eating.
Thanks.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Purple Tang two weeks ago and it is battling ick. I am treating with Polyp Lab Medic and this is my question: what is the lowest salinity level to maintain my nems, leathers and mushroomes?
I have lowered it to 1.020 and am seeking opinions, as to whether I could/should bring it down lower and even if this will make a positive difference?
My 120 is mature and all other fish are fine. The Purple Tang is eating.
Thanks.

Unless you want to deal with ich management, you should remove the purple tang and all other fish and treat with copper or CP in a quarantine tank with a 76 day fallow period in the DT. Medic is basically peroxide and won't cure anything. There are hypo resistant strains of ich out there, having nems and some corals in the tank I would not keep the salinity there that long or lower it anymore.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply and I have read this before. My original question remains: what is the lowest salinity level to maintain my nems, leathers and mushrooms?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply and I have read this before. My original question remains: what is the lowest salinity level to maintain my nems, leathers and mushrooms?
Do not lower it any more for your coral and inverts. There is not a salinity that is effective for killing ich that will not also kill other inverts. After all, ich and velvet are merely inverts. Any salinity that kills ich will also dust your coral.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this. My intention is to keep it at the minimum level that my softies need, in order to help the fish.
Thank you for your reply.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this. My intention is to keep it at the minimum level that my softies need, in order to help the fish.
Thank you for your reply.
It will not help, in fact it may hurt -- it may weaken the fish and cause coral to stress and slime harming water parameters which will give the parasite the upper hand. If anything, it is likely to hurt, not help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not help, in fact it may hurt -- it may weaken the fish and cause coral to stress and slime harming water parameters which will give the parasite the upper hand. If anything, it is likely to hurt, not help.
Algae can also become a major issue as well in low salinity, ask me how I know...

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would go buy a couple of 10gal tanks enough to hold all your fish. Sponge filters for 20 gal size tank, ammonia alert badges, Kordon Amquel plus.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not sure you can be helped. There isn't a coral safe ick treatment that works. Your original question of lowering your salt, your current level is the lowest I would go for any coral. To stop life cycle of some ick you need to lower your salinity to 1.009, at that level your coral and inverts would die. And like what blkhwkz says their some strains of ick that will still survive hypo.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back