Salinity resilient fish and coral?

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 30-40 gallon pond using canal/river water that flows in my backyard as I live on a canal. It is almost directly conntected to the ocean and is less than a mile away from the ocean so it gets clean water often. I’ve put a few fish like grunts and canal gobies and blenies in, but I want to add some coral if possible. The salinity swings a lot. It averages 1.022-1.026 but it can be higher or lower for long periods of time. Especially lower if it just rained. Sometimes it gets as low as 1.018-1.020 for a few days before returning to normal. Is there any cheaper coral that I could try with? I have a saltwater tank that I can put them in to save them if they start to die. Also any nicer looking aquarium fish that could resist the changes?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!!!!!

You should never release fish, coral, inverts of any type, algae, ANYTHING at all into the ocean, even if it's something local that you caught and then put into your tank. It could easily become a carrier for something that the local population has no defenses for. That is how the lionfish became the problem it is in the Carribean, macro algae in California, etc, etc, etc.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!!!!!

You should never release fish, coral, inverts of any type, algae, ANYTHING at all into the ocean, even if it's something local that you caught and then put into your tank. It could easily become a carrier for something that the local population has no defenses for. That is how the lionfish became the problem it is in the Carribean, macro algae in California, etc, etc, etc.
Lemme clarify, I am all for protecting the ocean and I understand that. The whole system has only things taken from the ecosystem (legally) and I am very careful to not introduce anything. I was asking what types of aquarium fish/ coral could survive in those conditions so I could go and collect some (if they are found here and legal to collect.) I am not buying anything for it. Also if something did go downhill and I had to put it in my tank, it would not be reintroduced into the wild. I understand that u are concerned that I will introduce new species but I am NOT doing that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back