Salinity test variance (Apex vs. Hanna)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Spar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2011
Messages
203
Reaction score
115
Location
Plano, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new model of Apex that has the salinity probe. I also have the new Hanna salinity tester (HI98319). Both were just calibrated.
Hanna = 1.024
Apex = 1.022

Should I generally trust the Hanna tester over the Apex? Seems like a large variance.
 
I have the new model of Apex that has the salinity probe. I also have the new Hanna salinity tester (HI98319). Both were just calibrated.
Hanna = 1.024
Apex = 1.022

Should I generally trust the Hanna tester over the Apex? Seems like a large variance.
I would not trust either if you are looking at 2ppt diffrence.
I would verify with well calibrated refractometer withen the temp range that the refractometer is spec'ed for.
The range you seek is too narrow for both in my openion.
 
I would not trust either if you are looking at 2ppt diffrence.
I would verify with well calibrated refractometer withen the temp range that the refractometer is spec'ed for.
The range you seek is too narrow for both in my openion.
Fair point. I have not tested it against a manual refractometer yet. I should do that. I will also re-calibrate both out of the chance that something screwed up in that process.
 
Fair point. I have not tested it against a manual refractometer yet. I should do that. I will also re-calibrate both out of the chance that something screwed up in that process.
I am very picky and paranoid with salinity. Pretty much have all the testing tools and I can tell you this, salinity measurements tools can widly vary unless its calibrated withen their spec'ed temperature during the calibration...
Also a role of thumb electrical probs especially cheap ones will drift in time. I advice against depending on them as an absolut measurments rather events triggers..
 
I tested with a refractometer; the problem here is that it obviously needed to be calibrated. I had 3 different brands of 1.026 calibration fluid, and the refractometer read differently on all 3. I assume the risk with those is evaporation driving up the salinity. So I sided with the calibration fluid that was reading the lowest.

I have a Milwaukee salinity tester also that read very differently. So I literally have like 5 different answers to what my salinity might be. Anywhere from 1.022 to 1.025.

What is the most absolute way to know for sure? Seems like if everything is relying on different calibration fluids and still giving different answers afterward, then there is no absolute way... stressful!
 
My new hanna salinity tester matches my calibrated refractometer perfectly... i love it!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new