Salinity Tester Issues & Discussion

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 24 hours I have been investigating and testing the Hanna HI98319 salinity tester due to some issues I had noticed on a new batch of salt that I mixed up. I wanted to test out Captiv8 Aquaculture's Formul8 Reef salt and I made up my first batch last night. When I mixed to the instructions for 25gallons of water I was reading low on my salinity through my Hanna salinity tester. I had just guessed on the 25 gallon RODI volume in my 32G brute mixing container though based on dumping in 5 gallon buckets of water, so I recalibrated my salinity tester and confirmed the salinity value and added salt up till I reached the 35.4 value I was looking for. At this point I took a Alk measurement had got a reading of 10.4dkh. I did a second test to make sure the first wasnt a fluke and got a reading of 10.3dkh. The salt is rated to have a alk of 8.0 so I knew something was wrong.

Test 1.png

I either mixed the proportions wrong (this is a 4 part salt mix similar to ESV), or my testing equipment wasn't working properly. I had a refractometer but I didn't have any calibration fluid at that moment so I didn't want to get a false positive or negative if the calibration was off. I then went up to my main tank and took a reading and got a salinity of 35.2, and a dkh of 6.8 using TM Pro Reef salt which seems reasonable.

Test 2.png

With this being the case I was still confused because the Alk values were close to matching what TM says they should be in that salinity range, but the Formul8 Reef was way off. With this being the case I wanted to verify that the calibrations were correct using @Randy Holmes-Farley calibration recipes (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm). Luckily I have access to reagent grade chemicals (I am a chemist) so I made up calibration standards for both refractometers and conductivity testers using NaCl and KCl respectively.

Conductivity:
Target: 3.2435 wt% KCl solution (6.487g KCl in 193.513g DI Water)

Test 4.png

Refractometer:
Target: 3.65 wt% NaCl solution (7.30g NaCl in 192.70g DI Water)

Test 3.png

I guess my main takeaways are that the refractometer should be my go to method for checking salinity as that appears to be the most accurate to the calibration standards. I am not sure what to make of the Hanna salinity tester. It reads extremely accurately when comparing to the 35ppt calibration solution that comes with it, but the KCl calibration solution was reading low by 0.7-0.8ppt. Should I trust the 35ppt from the Hanna calibration solution or trust the 34.2 from the KCl test? Have I missed anything obvious here?

When I get home from work today I will cross test the Hanna salinity tester against the refractometer and see what I get. I will also formulate a single gallon of the Formul8 Reef salt as written in the instructions and see what I get from that. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a bulb hydrometer and a graduated cylinder as my calibration standard instead of any type of calibration fluid. Once I get a reading on it...I calibrate my refractometer on that value and you know you are good to go.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a tropic Marin hydrometer (glass floating type) to calibrate my refractometer and I use a a plastic swing arm hydrometer to double check against the other two.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 24 hours I have been investigating and testing the Hanna HI98319 salinity tester due to some issues I had noticed on a new batch of salt that I mixed up. I wanted to test out Captiv8 Aquaculture's Formul8 Reef salt and I made up my first batch last night. When I mixed to the instructions for 25gallons of water I was reading low on my salinity through my Hanna salinity tester. I had just guessed on the 25 gallon RODI volume in my 32G brute mixing container though based on dumping in 5 gallon buckets of water, so I recalibrated my salinity tester and confirmed the salinity value and added salt up till I reached the 35.4 value I was looking for. At this point I took a Alk measurement had got a reading of 10.4dkh. I did a second test to make sure the first wasnt a fluke and got a reading of 10.3dkh. The salt is rated to have a alk of 8.0 so I knew something was wrong.

Test 1.png

I either mixed the proportions wrong (this is a 4 part salt mix similar to ESV), or my testing equipment wasn't working properly. I had a refractometer but I didn't have any calibration fluid at that moment so I didn't want to get a false positive or negative if the calibration was off. I then went up to my main tank and took a reading and got a salinity of 35.2, and a dkh of 6.8 using TM Pro Reef salt which seems reasonable.

Test 2.png

With this being the case I was still confused because the Alk values were close to matching what TM says they should be in that salinity range, but the Formul8 Reef was way off. With this being the case I wanted to verify that the calibrations were correct using @Randy Holmes-Farley calibration recipes (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm). Luckily I have access to reagent grade chemicals (I am a chemist) so I made up calibration standards for both refractometers and conductivity testers using NaCl and KCl respectively.

Conductivity:
Target: 3.2435 wt% KCl solution (6.487g KCl in 193.513g DI Water)

Test 4.png

Refractometer:
Target: 3.65 wt% NaCl solution (7.30g NaCl in 192.70g DI Water)

Test 3.png

I guess my main takeaways are that the refractometer should be my go to method for checking salinity as that appears to be the most accurate to the calibration standards. I am not sure what to make of the Hanna salinity tester. It reads extremely accurately when comparing to the 35ppt calibration solution that comes with it, but the KCl calibration solution was reading low by 0.7-0.8ppt. Should I trust the 35ppt from the Hanna calibration solution or trust the 34.2 from the KCl test? Have I missed anything obvious here?

When I get home from work today I will cross test the Hanna salinity tester against the refractometer and see what I get. I will also formulate a single gallon of the Formul8 Reef salt as written in the instructions and see what I get from that. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Nice catch! I’m new but I first purchased the Milwaukee refractometer and was feeling a little uncomfortable with it. It seemed to be close but changed alot. I’ve had instances where it will read crazy numbers. A few weeks ago everytime I hit the “read” button it went from 1.022 to 1.043 then 1.067 then 1.085. After cleaning it again and retesting it worked good again. I went on Amazon and bought one of the cheaper $20 telescope refractometers that you have to calibrate every time and it’s just made me feel alot more confident with my salinity. I am now more comfortable with the Milwaukee and use it most of the time but if something seems a little off or I’m wanting to double check I think having a non digital refractometer on hand is a must.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a bulb hydrometer and a graduated cylinder as my calibration standard instead of any type of calibration fluid. Once I get a reading on it...I calibrate my refractometer on that value and you know you are good to go.

I use a tropic Marin hydrometer (glass floating type) to calibrate my refractometer and I use a a plastic swing arm hydrometer to double check against the other two.
Yeah it seems like the more complexity you add the more chanced for issues. I will likely pick up a floating hydrometer as well to be sure maybe a swing arm too since they are so cheap

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back