Salinity to high

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is still a little high 1.028 I’m wondering what I can reduce the salinity to on my next water change 10% to get the salinity to 1.025 ?
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To about nothin? May be a bit of a shock, all in one go.
No, not nothing. If you're performing a 10% water change I'd drop the salt in that batch by 15-25%, wait a few hours and test again. Repeat in a week if necessary, and if you've overcorrected simply add a bit more salt water every day until you get the salinity to where you want.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not nothing. If you're performing a 10% water change I'd drop the salt in that batch by 15-25%, wait a few hours and test again. Repeat in a week if necessary, and if you've overcorrected simply add a bit more salt water every day until you get the salinity to where you want.
10% of RODI will reduce the salinity from 1.028 to 1.0252. Just confirming that you didn’t mean all in one go, for the OP.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% of RODI will reduce the salinity from 1.028 to 1.0252. Just confirming that you didn’t mean all in one go, for the OP.
I'm suggesting to just mix with less salt and continue with regular water changes to slowly bring it down, but there are several different ways this can be accomplished.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add salt at your desired mix whatever that may be. Lets use 1.025 for the example. change out 10 gallons this weekend of 1.025 in and 1.028 out . This will leave you probably at 1.026. next weekend do the same thing 10 gallons 1.025 and 1.026 out. This will probably get you to your target of 1.025

This way is a gradual drop not an instant shock ........Good luck !

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just pull a cup of water out periodically over a few days and let the ATO replace it with RODI. No need to mess with large volume salinity adjustments or math imo.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your build thread, is it still cycling?
No, I’ve not kept up with my build thread. I need to update it.
I moved my fish and the few soft corals from the 28 cube into the 90 gallon a little over a week ago, added a few new fish earlier this week, aside from realizing my refractometer was off and finding my salinity too high the fish and corals are doing well.
I asked about reducing the salinity when I do my water change because I figured it’ll be one more safe way to reduce the salinity, I added straight rodi earlier but it wasn’t enough to make much difference.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming
I moved my fish and the few soft corals from the 28 cube into the 90 gallon a little over a week ago, added a few new fish earlier this week, aside from realizing my refractometer was off and finding my salinity too high the fish and corals are doing well.
I asked about reducing the salinity when I do my water change because I figured it’ll be one more safe way to reduce the salinity, I added straight rodi earlier but it wasn’t enough to make much difference.
Assuming 100g of water total volume, it'll take more than you think. I'd remove a little water from the tank and replace it with RODI. Do a little bit at a time until you get to 1.025.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add salt at your desired mix whatever that may be. Lets use 1.025 for the example. change out 10 gallons this weekend of 1.025 in and 1.028 out . This will leave you probably at 1.026. next weekend do the same thing 10 gallons 1.025 and 1.026 out. This will probably get you to your target of 1.025

This way is a gradual drop not an instant shock ........Good luck !

I agree with the gradual change, but what you suggest would take dozens of 10g water changes to get down to 1.025.

OP: Either do several small water changes with much lower than target salinity or over the course of a few days repeatedly replace a couple gallons with rodi water

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I assume your refractometer is now calibrated with a 35ppt solution, either bought or DIY’d?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I usually do in this scenario. Is to fill a five gallon bucket with 3-4 gallons tank water, rest ro/di. Add this slowly, to a sump, or high flow area. Going down little bits over a course of about 8hrs. When you get to your target just drain the excess and dump it or save it for another tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back