Salinity

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my tank running for about two weeks now I finally got a hydrometer for now and I’ll probably get a refractometer later but anyway I brought my salinity down to 1.027 should I worry about killing my fish with the salinity that high or will that be OK until my next top off?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my tank running for about two weeks now I finally got a hydrometer for now and I’ll probably get a refractometer later but anyway I brought my salinity down to 1.027 should I worry about killing my fish with the salinity that high or will that be OK until my next top off?
Topping off with regular water should be done at least once a day.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can someone explain about calibrating a hydrometer
You need to take water with no salt (ideally RODI water) and "test" it as you normally would, then adjust the set screw until the hydrometer reads 0.

If the gage does not allow to be calibrated you need to record the offset (how far away from 0 positive or negative) and apply that to your number from testing saltwater.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to take water with no salt (ideally RODI water) and "test" it as you normally would, then adjust the set screw until the hydrometer reads 0.

If the gage does not allow to be calibrated you need to record the offset (how far away from 0 positive or negative) and apply that to your number from testing saltwater.
I've never seen a hydrometer with set screw. They're either just a plastic case with swing arm, or a floating glass tube.

I think you may be thinking of refractometer.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbiests try to maintain 35ppt which is 1.0264 so your 1.027 is probably fine. IME your hydrometer (I'm assuming swing arm) probably isn't accurate enough to know exactly what your salinity is anyway.
As others have stated you want to make sure to add top off water regularly. With many things in this hobby stability is more important than what your actual value is. The best way to keep salinity stable is to add an ATO to your tank if possible, you wouldn't regret the purchase.

As far as I know there is no way to calibrate a hydrometer.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also gtinnel I haven’t seen any more white specs on my clown fish so I don’t know as far as the ich problem in my other post

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back