Salinty dropped after 5 gallon water change

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would go to a LFS, Petco, or Petsmart and pick up some standard IO and raise is ASAP. I, personally would raise it to 1.019-1.020 and then raise it .002 daily until you get to 1.025-1.026. I agree with everyone that you don’t want to raise it to quickly. Don’t try to mix the water stronger than normal to raise the DT salinity. Just mix it to your normal salinity and then use it to raise the DT salinity. The reason I say get some standard IO salt mix is that the parameters should be pretty close to most other salts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I cup of salt to 2.5 gals of water added to sump should get you there. If stores cloced,,,, check local craigslist for someone selling coral and see if they can sell you a cup or two of salt mix

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, do you have an ATO? When you get salt, you can mix up some high salinity water and use it for top off. Raising salinity quickly can be dangerous.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feel like this thread is a joke. I can't see someone investing hundreds of dollars to own a saltwater tank/livestock and then doing a water change with 5 gallons of freshwater...fully knowing there isn't any salt in it and thinking things would be "okay".

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is I was able to take about 5 gallons out and put 5 gallons of saltwater back in. Im not sure if this is normal or not but my cleaner shrimp was laying on its back for awhile and something said leave it in the tank because it seemed paralyzed but not completely dead. Well as soon as I put in the saltwater the shrimp started moving around and seems more active. My hammer and frogspawn are pretty ticked as they are closed up tightly but the bubble rosetip is starting to come out more and the tips are starting to get full. Im clearly not in the clear yet but ill update in the am. Fingers

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this thread is a joke. I can't see someone investing hundreds of dollars to own a saltwater tank/livestock and then doing a water change with 5 gallons of freshwater...fully knowing there isn't any salt in it and thinking things would be "okay".

I think its a joke that your so shallow minded to even respond if you feel this post is a joke. Its clearly a rookie mistake and I admitted that but I did come on here for advice not ridicule apparently!!! When you have no idea about flow, placement, chemistry, etc but try your best to create the perfect environment for coral and fish with no real guidance and come to seek advice from more experienced individuals stuff happens. Im sure you've had some "F" ups when you started. You should practice saying less if you can't offer advice in the future and keep scrolling!

Have a great night and don't be concerned about the hundreds I spent on my tank unless you footed the bill

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, do you have an ATO? When you get salt, you can mix up some high salinity water and use it for top off. Raising salinity quickly can be dangerous.

No I don't have an ato. Since its a nano tank I figured manual top offs would suffice

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why did you think this was a good idea?

The guy at the local lfs said to top off with fresh water. Dealing with 2 elementary schooled kid homeschooling, and working from home is nerve wrecking. I felt as though I was neglecting my tank so when my flipper magnetic cleaner came in today and I scrapped all the crude off the glass I felt it was a great time to do a water change since the crude was floating throughout the tank. I honestly felt I was doing the right thing or else I wouldn't have done it. I guess my nerves got the best of me as my shipment from brs with tropic marin is being delivered Monday

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO will be a lifesaver and take so much burden off of you. Probably the best piece of equipment I've ever bought for my reef tanks. Buy Tunze.

Thanks for the insightful advice. Being that I have a 20g tank and being a newbie in this hobby its hard to decipher what I should or should not get. Prior to me setting up my tank I solely relied on YouTube videos and once I setup my tank I found this forum with great insightful information. Im determined to keep my "friends" happy and thriving in my tank and I greatly appreciate your recommendation!

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought salinity was ok to lower quickly, but had to be raised slowly when it comes to fish. Corals on the other hand, well it depends on how hardy they are.

Don’t beat yourself up.

Brendan Reeves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the local lfs said to top off with fresh water. Dealing with 2 elementary schooled kid homeschooling, and working from home is nerve wrecking. I felt as though I was neglecting my tank so when my flipper magnetic cleaner came in today and I scrapped all the crude off the glass I felt it was a great time to do a water change since the crude was floating throughout the tank. I honestly felt I was doing the right thing or else I wouldn't have done it. I guess my nerves got the best of me as my shipment from brs with tropic marin is being delivered Monday
Look up ato on Amazon. There’s a $13 option that works perfectly with a water bottle. Life saver. And buy a bucket of salt. A coral salt specifically, like reef salt, not instant ocean if you’re keeping corals. With that water change you’re not back to normal since it was mixed with your other water but just keep doing 1.025 water changes and it will be normal soon without stressing everything too much.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a nano then you're probably fine just topping off with a jug of RO water. An auto top off comes in handy when you have a larger tank with a sump and a lot more evap every day.

Take a deep breath and hopefully everything will be ok.

Brendan Reeves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up ato on Amazon. There’s a $13 option that works perfectly with a water bottle. Life saver. And buy a bucket of salt. A coral salt specifically, like reef salt, not instant ocean if you’re keeping corals. With that water change you’re not back to normal since it was mixed with your other water but just keep doing 1.025 water changes and it will be normal soon without stressing everything too much.
Here’s the link, use it on both my nano tanks
WuyouChy Aquarium ATO System Fish Tank Water Level Controller Automatic Top Off Water Filler with Adapter Amazon product

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to keep in mind, your new water needs to be at the same temp as your tank. I stressed and almost lost a Monti because my water change water was too cool one time

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a nano then you're probably fine just topping off with a jug of RO water. An auto top off comes in handy when you have a larger tank with a sump and a lot more evap every day.

Take a deep breath and hopefully everything will be ok.
Agree to disagree... but I ran a 20L for a couple months while moving and trying to keep a steady salinity and water level was hard, to say the least. If I didn't have a marked water level and topped off multiple times a day (too lazy for that), my salinity would be all out of whack - not to mention; with that small of a water volume, a little evaporation takes a bigger toll.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back