Salinty dropped after 5 gallon water change

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thorough clean of my jbj rl rimless 20g tank. I am waiting for my order of tropic marin so I didn't have any saltwater mixed for the water change so i used fresh RODI water. I noticed my corals are all drawn in and my cleaner shrimp is stretched out dead in the tank. I checked the salinity and its at 1.015 which its usually at 1.025. Any ideas of how/what to do to save my corals and purple firefish please.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch!
Thats a drastic salinity drop. I’m curious as to why you attempted to do a water change with no sea water on hand.
Are you anywhere near a Petco? They sell 5 gallon boxes of sea water that you could use to house your fish and corals in until you have your salt mix and get your parameters back to where they should be.
Hopefully, you can get them into some properly mixed water before you have any more losses. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did a straight up RODI water change?

Get some salt, big retail pet stores should still be open, ignore the brand at this point.

I've never mixed my own salt since I dropped so low what is an acceptable number to raise it to without shocking the system even more?

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'
Ouch!
Thats a drastic salinity drop. I’m curious as to why you attempted to do a water change with no sea water on hand.
Are you anywhere near a Petco? They sell 5 gallon boxes of sea water that you could use to house your fish and corals in until you have your salt mix and get your parameters back to where they should be.
Hopefully, you can get them into some properly mixed water before you have any more losses. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted
[/QUOTE

Hey Mike I'm still learning saltwater do's and dont's a guy at my lfs said to do top off with fresh water and for some reason my mind said to do water changes with fresh water also... smh... ive been up and running for three months now and always had a jug of salt water on hand but since I brought my own RODI system all saltwater was gone.

OP
OP
M

MZTICTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning it to normal quickly will not be as damaging as leaving it for a prolong period in 1.015 salinity.

Thanks im working on it now should the saltwater be tank water temp also? I'm so unprepared for this i was getting everything I needed to do saltwater changes by Monday but the tank was becoming unsightly.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping salinity quickly is OK. Raising it quickly is NOT OK.
Get it up to 1.018, & keep upping it in increments of .002 daily, not more.
The fish can tolerate water lower than 1.015 but not the corals.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thorough clean of my jbj rl rimless 20g tank. I am waiting for my order of tropic marin so I didn't have any saltwater mixed for the water change so i used fresh RODI water. I noticed my corals are all drawn in and my cleaner shrimp is stretched out dead in the tank. I checked the salinity and its at 1.015 which its usually at 1.025. Any ideas of how/what to do to save my corals and purple firefish please.
Just curious, why did you think this was a good idea?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't ease it i would shoot it back. Thats way to low. Never do a water change w straight ro, get a digital hannah salinity checker march salinity to 1.025 and temp 76 to 79. Water and salt mix in bucket for at least a couple hours to make sure all salt dissolves

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to explain, RODI creates purified water (the level of purity depends on different factors) then use your preferred salt mix to create saltwater (usually each salt mix will have mixing instructions on the packaging. For instance mine is 1/2 cup of salt mix per gallon of RODI water.) I mix the saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead or pump (I usually start this the day before I will use the water). I also use a small heater in the bucket to get the temp to the same as the tank.
Then before I add to my tank I test my tank water and the freshly mixed water to verify they are the same, then I add the new water to the tank.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never add straight rodi water to the tank unless your topping it off from evaporation. As water evaporates the waters salinity will rise because the salt doesn't evaporate. Please do a little research so you understand how this works. Or ask more questions. Sucks you have to go through this.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back