Sally Lightfoot OK with 20 hour light schedule in Refugium?

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is our Sally lightfoot crab OK with a 20 hour photo period in our refugium? The bottom is mostly shaded by the algae.

She's in there for a test (maybe 60 days) because we recently had some issues losing green chromis and 2 lyretail anthias within 9 days of adding to our tank. Some people suggested that our (5") sally lightfoot crab might be the culprit. After a valiant battle, we captured and relocated Sally to the refugium. We tried a crab trap - no glory. Net - not even close. Mason jar tilted against rocks with krill - 48 hours to success. So- we're going to see if the losses stop. If so, we'll re-home her. If not, I suppose she'll return to our mixed reef.

Our refugium is a 10g tank with caleurpa & chaeto and it's lit (Kessil H80) 20 hours per day.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely the Sally. They are a crab with claws that are mentioned to catch and hold on. It should be fine in the sump. If you are that concerned you could reduce the light by a couple of hours.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is our Sally lightfoot crab OK with a 20 hour photo period in our refugium? The bottom is mostly shaded by the algae.

She's in there for a test (maybe 60 days) because we recently had some issues losing green chromis and 2 lyretail anthias within 9 days of adding to our tank. Some people suggested that our (5") sally lightfoot crab might be the culprit. After a valiant battle, we captured and relocated Sally to the refugium. We tried a crab trap - no glory. Net - not even close. Mason jar tilted against rocks with krill - 48 hours to success. So- we're going to see if the losses stop. If so, we'll re-home her. If not, I suppose she'll return to our mixed reef.

Our refugium is a 10g tank with caleurpa & chaeto and it's lit (Kessil H80) 20 hours per day.

It’s possible that the crab is to blame....... but chromis and lyretails are notorious for dying.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got 5 BgC in my my tank haven't had any issue. I did loose several in qt. But nothing in DT .

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back