Losing Fish???....

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been in restocking mode for our 125g mixed reef since an accident last April. Last Friday, we added 9 green chromis and 3 lyre tail anthias to an existing crew of 5 green chromis, a pair of ocellaris clowns and various inverts.

One of the small anthias never ate and disappeared by Monday. The other 2 anthias were doing great - eating and out and about as of this morning. When I got home just now... only 1 anthia left. No body, no indications. I've looked everywhere, but it seems were down another one. What happens? Is this normal?

All parameters are solid:
77.8 deg
1ppm NO3
.04ppm PO4
8.7 dKh
465 Ca
1410 Mag

We do a 30g water change every other week with Reef Crystals.

Feeding:
NLS 2x per day (auto)
Dried Mysis 2x per day (auto)
Reef Frenzy 2 out of 3 days

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish treated for anything before added?

Any pictures of the lost fish?
Any odd behavior from any fish current or lost? scratching etc

Any physical symptoms, look at eyes, gills, or fins first.

Any ammonia present?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you Quarantine the fish before adding to DT?

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no trace of the missing fish. No indications on any of the other fish. All appear healthy and they eat like velociraptors. We did not quarantine for 2 reasons. First, our LFS had these fish in stock over 35 days. Second, we read mixed reviews on quarantining anthias.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could Sally Lightfoot be a murderer? A local LFS suggested that our Sally Lightfoot crab (approx 4") could be ambushing our fish while they're sleeping in the rocks. We've got a trap set in efforts to catch her and let her spend some time in the sump. I suppose if our disappearances cease, we'll know. What say you?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible, but hard to be sure without any bodies to look at, and that they were new fish.

Would keep an eye on all of the fish make sure no fish begin to look less than prime.

I personally would not be able to trust a 4” crab. Only crabs i still keep are pom poms and hermits lol.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... so the 2 liter bottle trap with krill did not lure Sally overnight. I'm afraid catching Sally will be about as easy as catching damsels.

I'm growing more confident that she may be our culprit. Since we've been in restock mode, we've added 24 green chromis and we currently have 9. We followed a thread where people talked about losses among chromis and just assumed this was normal. In the 10-14 days after we add chromis, they thin out and reach balance. Since chromis and anthias sleep in the crevices of the rock work, Sally seems a plausible explanation. She's grown about 30% over the last 2 months and her claws are 3 times the size they were. Appears she's eating well.

Now to catch her and see if the losses stop. Anybody have an "Office" button?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If shes 4” could try a regular crab trap [emoji23]

Maybe pick up some squid, a red light for night viewing, and tie the squid to twine entice to a spot away from rocks and try to net him at night.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to quarantining new fish, I have yet to hear an explanation as to why someone would not do it.

The ethics of local fish stores have come into question on this forum countless times, and cannot be trusted to do what is right when it comes to making money. Their only concern is what is profitable.

That the LFS had these guys in stock for 35 days wouldn't make me feel good. As I understand it, an illness like ich can exist without any signs of the disease being present. But the stress of being moved into a new environment will stress the fish immune system and cause ich to show its face.

The bottom line for me: Always quarantine. It's better to be safe than sorry.

The Coke bottle trap is effective for things like worms and other small critters. Is your design something that looks like this?
f1caf116-882d-411f-8374-f97bcfee1b88.jpg

How does Sally, the 4 inch crab fit in there?

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coke bottle trap is effective for things like worms and other small critters. Is your design something that looks like this?
f1caf116-882d-411f-8374-f97bcfee1b88.jpg

How does Sally, the 4 inch crab fit in there?

Similar, but we cut the threaded opening larger so that Sally could fit into the trap. She showed NO interest. I've got a silverside in a clip in the front corner of the tank with a net nearby at the moment.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck catching Sally, but we did add a 20g long quarantine tank to replace the 10g. It's cycling now.

RAUM+W7TRoeyZQ1%5SSUww.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back