Salmon Egss

Lib95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever use salmon eggs for feeding? Fresh ones of course versus the cured ones. I'm sure they are quite a bit bigger vs. capelin eggs.

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have toyed around with the idea since I throw alot of them away every year from all the salmon me and my family catch but the salmon have some kind of invasive asian parasite in their stomach area and I don't want to risk giving it to my fish.

OP
OP
L

Lib95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if freezing them would help mitigate that risk.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it. A few years back, I caught a few trout for dinner. One was loaded with eggs. I decided to give my cichlids a treat. I fed eggs to my display tank and to a tank of fry that I was raising. Within two days, every fish in both tanks had a nasty disease that was resistant to all meds. Both tanks wiped out.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the smaller roe from sushi that I had leftover from making Poke. It's in the freezer right now though, I'll probably add it to my frozen food mix.

Picture to cause jealousy haha
1608227623633.png

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it to be honest. The frozen cubes of fish eggs are cheap enough and I use them and the fish love them...

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish roe is excelent food. May contain parasites (not common if the fish is cleaned properly, intact roe sac), but those can be killed by washing the roe in vinegar if you want to use fresh roe or by freezing the roe for later use.

Back