Salt and Alk

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I would like to keep my alk between 8 and 9. Why is it that I can't seem to find any salts under 11? Why do salt mixes hit such a high alk number if maintaining constant alk is so important?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua forest standard reef salt is about 7.6 dkh I do 18 gallon wc and have to add about 25 ml of all to each batch to hit 8.9 dkh
Thanks, that is good to know. I would rather be on the low side than the high side.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I would like to keep my alk between 8 and 9. Why is it that I can't seem to find any salts under 11? Why do salt mixes hit such a high alk number if maintaining constant alk is so important?
I asked myself the same thing and this is why I'm considering daily small auto water changes then I need not worry any how

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt. I switched to the AF salt mainly for the reason of high alk from other salts. I run 8.5 dkh and dose alk

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use instant ocean and was stressing my corals with each wc not even realizing it. I tested and was shocked
I started out using Reef Crystals because I didn't know better. I am using regular IO now but would like a salt with an alk much closer to my target. It looks like the Aquaforest is exactly what I need. Really appreciate you guys pointing that out. Seems crazy that so many salts target 11dkh or higher.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take about there weeks but you will see the difference. Aquaforest is like any other program, you can run all there products or keep it simple;) I run the reef salt and components 1+2+3+.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take about there weeks but you will see the difference. Aquaforest is like any other program, you can run all there products or keep it simple;) I run the reef salt and components 1+2+3+.
For now I think I will try their salt and continuing to use Kalk in my ATO. Eventually I may try more of their program as my coral grow.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I think I will try their salt and continuing to use Kalk in my ATO. Eventually I may try more of their program as my coral grow.

Reach out if you have questions. PM me with your email and I will send over a spreadsheet the breaks down the mixing amounts per gallon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depending on how you use it, high (or low) alk in water change water above the tank does not change tanks parameters noticeably (slow steady water changes, for example).

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out using Reef Crystals because I didn't know better. I am using regular IO now but would like a salt with an alk much closer to my target. It looks like the Aquaforest is exactly what I need. Really appreciate you guys pointing that out. Seems crazy that so many salts target 11dkh or higher.

Agreed. I think that part of the issue is that many aquarists don't want to dose or test their tanks. If a manufacturer makes a salt mix with carbonate alkalinity close to 11 dKh, then regular water changes will likely be enough to maintain a tank's alkalinity level. Obviously, high demand SPS-dominated tanks will need more carbonate and calcium, but at that level of reefing most reef keepers will be testing and adjusting chemistry as necessary. But, for a vast majority of reefers, it's entirely possible that higher carbonate alkalinity in the salt mix will lead to more success, and the reefer will keep using the salt that produces favorable results.

Aquaforest is one of the salts that has carbonate alkalinity closer to that of natural seawater. Red Sea blue bucket has lower levels as well. At 35ppt, I've tested between 7.8 and 8.0 dKh. Tropic Marin Pro Reef was also close to the values of natural seawater. Carbonate alkalinity averaged out to be around 7.7 dKh for every new batch that I tested.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a water change are you doing that you're seeing a significant alkalinity swing?
It isn't a problem for me yet since my Alk is around 10.5dkh. I'm more worried about it as I let me Alk drift lower. I do a 20% water change every 3 weeks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't a problem for me yet since my Alk is around 10.5dkh. I'm more worried about it as I let me Alk drift lower. I do a 20% water change every 3 weeks.

I maintain dKH around 8.0 and the difference isn't noticeable at 10-20% using Reef Crystals.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running my alk now @ 8.5. Using IO and balling salts.

Was running higher alk (10) several months ago with ESV two part and IO.

I let the alk drif down while I changed dosing compounds and dialed in the new dose. maintained my normal WC schedule.
No issues.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea black bucket, and while its a great salt... The alk is just too high. Bought it on a noob mistake. "Coral Pro" must be better for corals, right? I'm switching to blue bucket now that I know more.
Yeah, that pro salt is similar to AF pro biotic, needed for uln systems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back