Salt babies at play

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm working on breeding a few things.
I have some erectus babies.

But my newest obsession is shrimp.
I have been trying to get peppermint shrimp to settle.
Here's some pictures.
I fed them copepods, rotifer, bbs and phytoplankton.
Day 1
day 1 tmb a.jpg

You can see the eye stalks are now elongated
day 1 tmb sm .jpg

Here he has his swimming legs and the eye stalks are even longer.
day 14 tmb sm .jpg

Now just waiting and hoping for some settlement. I had low temps for a long time so I expect settlement to take a while even though they are about an 1" long if you count their legs. About a 1/2" for the body, maybe 3/8 "

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to Reef-A-Palooza this weekend mainly to pick up my Harlequin Shrimp. I also picked up a trio of Panemic Blennies from Sea in the City. They are so cute. I think I'm going to set up a pico for the shrimp and blennies so I can keep a good eye on them.

I love the blennies. I will try to get a good picture. I doubt I'll be able to breed anything so small but I want to try. I've always wanted a barnacle wall with like 20 blennies but at $30/fish I'll have to breed them before I am able to do that.

I guess I might check out the tank build threads too. Though I might just use a 5.5 I have already.

I love the fluvial flex but I don't think I'm going to get it because I think I want an actual sump. It looks awesome though so I might break down and get it.

The store also had a flaming prawn goby I'm fortunate they didn't have a pair because my budget couldn't really afford a pair of those considering many people have trouble keeping them alive.

I also got to meet Chad from Reed's Nutrition. I love that guy. Love their pods.

My seahorses have rotifers in their tank so time for a 100% water change this afternoon after work.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One step closer to redoing my large tank. Got rid of the yellow tang.

Sad I don't seem to have any settlement yet with the peppermints but still have lots of babies swimming around so I just need to be patient.

Another batch of seahorse babies today.

The barnacle blennies are so cute. I have to figure out their permanent home soon.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the first peppermint shrimp I think has settled. I killed 2 tank cleaning.

BUT Wow of WOW my flame angels are finally throwing fertile eggs. They have been throwing eggs for like 6 months to a year but they didn't seem fertile. Now they appear to be fertile. So that opens up a whole expensive summer. :)

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I can now say it is official. I have settled peppermint shrimp. I must now work on keeping them separate so they don't kill each other. Gonna use some pvc for that I think. I'll try to take some pictures. I think some settled about a week ago but when went to take pictures I spills the container and lost them in the carpet.

Pods and rots are on the way for the angels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back