Salt creep and evaporation. (Nano)

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So running the nano requires almost daily top off. 8G water column.

My question is: considering the salt creep on the side of the tank, would this not lower salinity? And top off water being ro/di make things worse?

Could I use a mix of ro/di and 35ppt salt water in the top off to account for this “creep” or loss of salt to the system? Or does creep lead to loss of salinity?

My Sg has been pretty consistent at 1.026 thus far but tank is only 1 month old.

Any comments welcomed.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the fresh water for top off but be sure to keep an eye in salinity as well

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off with fresh ro/di. If you happen to eventually notice it dropping mix a little higher ppm and slowly replace evaporation with it. I have a 10g aio and only needed to do this once.

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies. I do have a lid but not on my mini sump and there is quite a bit of splashing. I’ll try to button that up.

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaving for 4 days next week so want to make sure everything will run smoothly for the fish sitter lol. ✌Setting up ato Tuesday.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaving for 4 days next week so want to make sure everything will run smoothly for the fish sitter lol. ✌Setting up ato Tuesday.
The ato will make your life a lot easier and help keep the parameters in check. I don't get a lot of salt creep but, I keep a lot of flow and surface agitation.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...yes the salt creep does reduce the salinity in the tank. But evaporation's going to bump it up higher than any amount of salt creep can reduce it. Personally, I kinda just sweep the salt creep back into the tank a few days before a water change....

OP
OP
supernanoguy

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this.
Tank did not lose much water at all today. I guess the levels were just fluctuating in the return area the first few days. I haven’t seen it drop at all in 24 hours so good sign it’s stabilizing. I was seeing a big drop in the return pump during the day when I posted this.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back