View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium440 ppm
Magnesium1425 ppm
Alkalinity8.5 dKH

I tested my water and came up with these results. I just switched from rc to fritz pro in blue box. I know rc is a little higher in levels for alk can and mag. Should I be dosing alk CA and mag? If I dos alk do I need to dos ca and magnesium with it also?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium440 ppm
Magnesium1425 ppm
Alkalinity8.5 dKH

I tested my water and came up with these results. I just switched from rc to fritz pro in blue box. I know rc is a little higher in levels for alk can and mag. Should I be dosing alk CA and mag? If I dos alk do I need to dos ca and magnesium with it also?
That would depend on how fast your tank eats up any of these parameters. As it sits the answer is no .

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on how fast your tank eats up any of these parameters. As it sits the answer is no .
Right now I have gsp, I leather gabbage, leather toad stool, purple sponges two orange plates and a green fungi plate, 3 other corals sps not sure what the are. And five btas. On split and there not looking so good. And a bubble coral. Which also looks bad. I'm hoping they'll bounce back from the low pH issues soon.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the ph is topping out at 7.97. but the day is still young. going out to buy some haanna checkers for alk, mg and ca this afternoon after work to recheck my readings. there easier to tell then color guessing with salifert.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the ph is topping out at 7.97. but the day is still young. going out to buy some haanna checkers for alk, mg and ca this afternoon after work to recheck my readings. there easier to tell then color guessing with salifert.
The Hanna alk checker is great , I personally like the salivert mag tester which is pretty straight forward and even better if you buy a auto stirring or shaking device . The Hanna cal tester I personally don’t care for as for me it’s a pain with too many steps . I also recommend the Hanna ultra low phosphate checker . But you can look up the reviews for all these tests on YouTube or brs tv . Good luck !!!

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna alk checker is great , I personally like the salivert mag tester which is pretty straight forward and even better if you buy a auto stirring or shaking device . The Hanna cal tester I personally don’t care for as for me it’s a pain with too many steps . I also recommend the Hanna ultra low phosphate checker . But you can look up the reviews for all these tests on YouTube or brs tv . Good luck !!!
i;m monitoring my ph right now at work. its slowly rising. yesterday it rose quickley but today its looks to be topping out I think at 8.0 or a litlle bit above. question. thre is no wind/ breeze at all today. it is just dead. having a window open in that room an inch top should that effect my ph to go higher even if theres no breeze?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i;m monitoring my ph right now at work. its slowly rising. yesterday it rose quickley but today its looks to be topping out I think at 8.0 or a litlle bit above. question. thre is no wind/ breeze at all today. it is just dead. having a window open in that room an inch top should that effect my ph to go higher even if theres no breeze?
Constant fresh air can raise it to a point but also make sure what your checking it with , is accurate. My ph is around 8.3 and fluctuates especially at night when the lights wind down . If I still had my refugium still hooked up it would dip as much . but I really don’t worry so much about ph . It’s not a issue for me . I think I have it on the Apex monitor but if my other parameters are good my ph is fine . The biggest things to watch is of course salinity, alk , mag , cal, phosphate, nitrate , and temp and not necessarily in that order . Because I know my tank, alk and phosphates are my biggest concerns . I test those two weekly . I test salinity weekly as well before water changes and the rest I test monthly .

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't tested my phosphates at all. im running water right now for a water change. I just switched salts from rc to fritz so im thinking my bta's and some of my corals are adjusting to the new salt. i have had problems with the ph since day one. i never looked at my ph knowing everything else was inline until oneday i noticed most of my corals looked bleached out, testes thhe ph and it was at 7.6. quickly popped out the airstone and raised it to an appripriate level and everything recovered but since then i monitor my ph in the spring, summer(obsessevely in the summer) and fall. if theres a breeze i can open up a window on the east and west side of the basement and the breeze pushes right on through the basement and gets that old stale air out with new fresh air. but so far this month it has been hot and n breeze or wind until last night, where we did get an unexpected rain and a horrifying wind gusts. got tree limbs down and etc. im keeping an airline outside again tonight to see what results i'll get tonight with droppage. cause last night was not a normal night for august. no breeze and dead stale air is normal. in the meantime i am going to get an alk tester and calcium tester(hanna( would llike the magnesium hanna checker but seems like what i see is tomany issues with it so im holding off until its resolved.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make and sell media to remove carbon dioxide which if you run a skimmer you just hook up a canister to the intake . You can buy the material and or the canister at brs supply or I’m sure most high scale reef stores have them. This way you wouldn’t have to open the windows as much

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back