Salt mix

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a little tired of finding TM Pro Reef is out of stock any time I need it. What's a suitable alternative if I decide to change mix?
My retailer too...in fact several others in town.... they are pushing the higher end Red Sea mix on me, looks like I'm gonna have to make the switch. My bucket is looking rather paltry right now....

fishgutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My retailer too...in fact several others in town.... they are pushing the higher end Red Sea mix on me, looks like I'm gonna have to make the switch. My bucket is looking rather paltry right now....
Been using instant ocean for 30 years. Still haven’t found a reason not to use it.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably get many opinions. Most any are fine. My favorite is ESV.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. I like the alk it mixes at and it is super consistent from batch to batch, bucket to bucket. Also no residue.
Is it mixing near alk 9 for you? (This is the only thing I don’t like. A little high for me). I just ordered some and their new Transition Elements (with and without carbon)

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it mixing near alk 9 for you? (This is the only thing I don’t like. A little high for me). I just ordered some and their new Transition Elements (with and without carbon)
I’ve been mixing below 9. More like 8.5, but this brings me back to the other thread and salinity calibration issues. So you get 9 with your glass hydrometer? At 34ppt or 35ppt?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a little tired of finding TM Pro Reef is out of stock any time I need it. What's a suitable alternative if I decide to change mix?

Suitable? Nearly all salt mixes are suitable.

What aspects are most important to you?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, calcium, mg. I don't like precipitation in my mixing station either. For that reason I've been using Tropic Marin pro reef. Its just never available when I need it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, calcium, mg. I don't like precipitation in my mixing station either. For that reason I've been using Tropic Marin pro reef. Its just never available when I need it.

I don't know what values you are targeting, but to avoid precipitation you want a low alk mix.

Maybe the Red Sea blue bucket.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the Live Aquaria salt a try.
55# box is about $50 with free shipping from Petco with the repeat delivery option, and even cheaper during sales.

I've been using it for 6 months and haven't had to clean out any mixing containers yet. it mixes clear, fast, and never leaves anything behind. Parameters have been fine for me. when I mix it up at 35ppt I get an ALK of 8.4-8.5.
I'm completely sold on the stuff. It's packaging is very similar to Fritz, so there are assumptions that its the same stuff.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been mixing below 9. More like 8.5, but this brings me back to the other thread and salinity calibration issues. So you get 9 with your glass hydrometer? At 34ppt or 35ppt?
This is from a recent chat with Bob Stark at ESV: "Our salt runs at about 9.1 dKH at 34ppt."
I haven't used it in 4 years (since I closed my pet shop and vet hospital) so I wanted to know if there have been any changes. One change is that the Li is not as high as it use to be, so that is good. I use to buy this salt by the pallet! I highly recommend it. I have been using other salts this past year for my small temporary tank (while waiting to sell my house) but decided to go back to the ESV.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a recent chat with Bob Stark at ESV: "Our salt runs at about 9.1 dKH at 34ppt."
I haven't used it in 4 years (since I closed my pet shop and vet hospital) so I wanted to know if there have been any changes. One change is that the Li is not as high as it use to be, so that is good. I use to buy this salt by the pallet! I highly recommend it. I have been using other salts this past year for my small temporary tank (while waiting to sell my house) but decided to go back to the ESV.
I missed seeing this before I posted!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t mix that high in alk for me even at 35ppt. But could be a solution/refractometer issue.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed a new batch of ESV today for a water change and here is the Alk I got with Hanna.
@ 35ppt according to a Brightwell solution calibrated refractometer = 8.3
@37.5ppt according to a Aqua Craft solution calibrated refractometer = 8.3
There is a BRStv Investigates and it mixed up at 8.5 for them.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It has to be retailers as TM PRO is available according to tropic Marin
I get mine from petco.com

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be retailers as TM PRO is available according to tropic Marin
I get mine from petco.com
If you are ordering online I guess sure... every retailer here in Toronto area is having issues with acquiring, and for months now....I have inquired with over a half dozen. Time for a new mix if they are that much a pain in the butt...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back