Salt mixes - what to chose?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My tank is currently cycling, and as being new to the hobby, I want to make sure I limit mistakes as much as possible.
The salt I currently have tested at these values at 1.026 sal.

Ca. 450
Mg. 1200
Kh. 10

When looking at general recommendations Kh is a bit high and Mg a bit low. Today I got a few samples from my lfs. One mix for corals another for fish.
My test results:

Coral mix:
Ca. 420
Mg.1620
Kh. 10 (droptest)/11.6(Hanna)

Fish mix:
Ca.500
Mg.1230
Kh.11,2(droptest)/13(Hanna)

As a beginner, these numbers seems way of the normal guidelines, so I have no idea what salt mix I should chose.
Does above results make any sense?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Fritz blue box, IO (regular) or Red Sea blue box (regular)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My tank is currently cycling, and as being new to the hobby, I want to make sure I limit mistakes as much as possible.
The salt I currently have tested at these values at 1.026 sal.

Ca. 450
Mg. 1200
Kh. 10

When looking at general recommendations Kh is a bit high and Mg a bit low. Today I got a few samples from my lfs. One mix for corals another for fish.
My test results:

Coral mix:
Ca. 420
Mg.1620
Kh. 10 (droptest)/11.6(Hanna)

Fish mix:
Ca.500
Mg.1230
Kh.11,2(droptest)/13(Hanna)

As a beginner, these numbers seems way of the normal guidelines, so I have no idea what salt mix I should chose.
Does above results make any sense?

what salt can you get a hold off? No point getting recommendations if you can’t get it easily.

You can not go far wrong with Tropic Marin pro or classic, it mixes very easily and is super clean, some salt when mixed leave brown residue in the tub, TM doesn’t.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is a subject that has been beaten to death. If u check the history of discussions at this forum, u could spend the next year, and more, reading about it.

You will get every opinion under the sun asking this question; and you will probably be more confused than before asking the question.

I would suggest watching BRS (bulk reef supply): BRS investigates. I'll post 2 links. This should give you all of the info you need. People have been successful using the cheapest salt, to the most expensive. I personally use Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. Watch these videos and you will get all of the info you will possibly need. GL

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt can you get a hold off? No point getting recommendations if you can’t get it easily.
Well, I wasn't really looking for recommendations, but more conformations that above mixes aren't what they should be.
Aside from the above 'unbranded' mixes, it seems aquaforrest is dominating the hobby here, so not that many choices.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wasn't really looking for recommendations, but more conformations that above mixes aren't what they should be.
Aside from the above 'unbranded' mixes, it seems aquaforrest is dominating the hobby here, so not that many choices.

easy enough to check out the salts that people recommend to try and match your salt sample parameters.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not go far wrong with Tropic Marin pro
Seems this is possible to get here. What are the various concentrations?

Stick with what you have and just boost MG up a bit.
Was thinking of that. It will however require an extra step that can be messed up, and extra cost. Also, isn't Kh a bit high?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems this is possible to get here. What are the various concentrations?

Was thinking of that. It will however require an extra step that can be messed up, and extra cost. Also, isn't Kh a bit high?

TMP is
mag 1350
Cal 440
Alk 7kh

the classic is higher alk at 9kh and around 1260 mag and cal at 380.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, but It was the lowest kh of the three options you posted. so if that kh is going to be an issue, isn't it going to be an issue with any of the options you posted?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TMP is
mag 1350
Cal 440
Alk 7kh

the classic is higher alk at 9kh and around 1260 mag and cal at 380.
Thanks.

Yes, but It was the lowest kh of the three options you posted. so if that kh is going to be an issue, isn't it going to be an issue with any of the options you posted?

True. But these are my easiest to get options. I have other, and salt is easy to store and you don't suddenly run out.

I'm a little confused on these salt mixes. I get that people want/need/like a bit more or less of the various components, but as a beginner it doesn't make sense to have mixes that is already at the lower or upper limits of recommendations.

TMP is
mag 1350
Cal 440
Alk 7kh

Why is Alk just 7kh, when recommendation is 7-11? Just seems 'stupid' not having it more in the middle like 8-9...

Whatever mix I chose, I should be prepared to add more of one (or several) components.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I keep my tank at 7-8dkh and need to do a large water change I would want a mix that matches very close. So as not to cause an alk spike/instability.

Not everyone keeps there tank at 7-8. If you want to go with natural sea water parameters, pick a mix that matches those parameters.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused on these salt mixes. I get that people want/need/like a bit more or less of the various components, but as a beginner it doesn't make sense to have mixes that is already at the lower or upper limits of recommendations.

Why is Alk just 7kh, when recommendation is 7-11? Just seems 'stupid' not having it more in the middle like 8-9...

Whatever mix I chose, I should be prepared to add more of one (or several) components.

I use Live Aquaria brand salt. I buy it from Petco. Its cheap (half the price of TMP) and works just as well.
It mixes up fast and clean, and middle of the road params. 8-9 kh. Right now you can buy a 55# box with free shipping for $50. Give that a try before you spend twice as much on TMP. (when its even in stock)

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing salt mixes like you are is good. Salt mix should mix to the specs on the container. If not, it could be testing procedure or bad test kit. Rarely is the mix off from manufacturer.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being able to get it locally in an emergency is nice, but not critical. Anything will do in an emergency. Pick the salt you like best and order it online if you have to. Keep an extra on hand. I've liked the Tropic Marin Pro Reef and HW-MarineMix Reefer both. They mix clean with minimal residue and have good parameters.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I keep my tank at 7-8dkh and need to do a large water change I would want a mix that matches very close. So as not to cause an alk spike/instability.
I understand. But, wouldn't you want Ca and Mg to match also?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick the salt you like best and order it online if you have to.
I don't know what 'I like'. I'm a little puzzled that the Alk is so high in the 3 I tested so far.
As mentioned, being a beginner and reading alk. should be 7-11, I was thinking around 9 to be good starting point. But that seems to be impossible.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

True. But these are my easiest to get options. I have other, and salt is easy to store and you don't suddenly run out.

natural sea water is around 7kh so I guess it would be equally stupid not to have that option.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what 'I like'. I'm a little puzzled that the Alk is so high in the 3 I tested so far.
As mentioned, being a beginner and reading alk. should be 7-11, I was thinking around 9 to be good starting point. But that seems to be impossible.

whatever figure you pick you will never keep it there if you have corals, so will be dosing alk in some form.

No one knows the exact correct alk level, but most agree between 7 and 11 is a good range, it really is a case of picking a number and going with it, then down the line you may change your mind with experience, changing salt is not hard, so whatever you choose now, you are not stuck with it.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Live Aquaria brand salt. I buy it from Petco. Its cheap (half the price of TMP) and works just as well.
It mixes up fast and clean, and middle of the road params. 8-9 kh. Right now you can buy a 55# box with free shipping for $50. Give that a try before you spend twice as much on TMP. (when its even in stock)
'Free shipping' is not really an option here, with heavy shipments. Around $15-$20 to ship 50 lbs.

natural sea water is around 7kh so I guess it would be equally stupid not to have that option.
Agreed! I'm sure there are are many salts to chose from with various mix of components. I just wonder, with the ones I've tested, who wants a Kh of 11+ or a Ca. of 500? If this is common or desireable wouldn't the recommended ranges be 'untrue'?

I quess I'm simple trying to understand the logic behind making mixes that are at the low or high end of the recommended ranges.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back