Salt mixes - what to chose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may simplify water changes for the alk to match the tank goal, there's no reason it needs to. Small water changes have little impact on alk, even when it doesn't match.

For example, if you are at 8 dKH and do a 10% change with 12 dKH water, the alk only rises to 8.4 dKH, which is less than the daily demand in most tanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Free shipping' is not really an option here, with heavy shipments. Around $15-$20 to ship 50 lbs.

Agreed! I'm sure there are are many salts to chose from with various mix of components. I just wonder, with the ones I've tested, who wants a Kh of 11+ or a Ca. of 500? If this is common or desireable wouldn't the recommended ranges be 'untrue'?

I quess I'm simple trying to understand the logic behind making mixes that are at the low or high end of the recommended ranges.

There are no salt mixes below NSW alk levels.

Higher is useful if you want the water changes to supplement the alk.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no salt mixes below NSW alk levels.

Higher is useful if you want the water changes to supplement the alk.
True. With a smaller amount of corals, water changes could replenish (at least some) of the alk, ca etc. so makes sense that some mixes are at the higher end of range. But what is the logic having Mg at the low end (1200) when Ca and Alk is at the higher end?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. With a smaller amount of corals, water changes could replenish (at least some) of the alk, ca etc. so makes sense that some mixes are at the higher end of range. But what is the logic having Mg at the low end (1200) when Ca and Alk is at the higher end?

I'm not aware of any mix that intends to have 1200 ppm magnesium at 35 ppt.

Home magnesium testing is very prone to error.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Free shipping' is not really an option here, with heavy shipments. Around $15-$20 to ship 50 lbs.

Agreed! I'm sure there are are many salts to chose from with various mix of components. I just wonder, with the ones I've tested, who wants a Kh of 11+ or a Ca. of 500? If this is common or desireable wouldn't the recommended ranges be 'untrue'?

I quess I'm simple trying to understand the logic behind making mixes that are at the low or high end of the recommended ranges.

Those that choose 11kh may aim for a tank at 9kh, remember the tank will use KH, so they have less dosing to do.

Maybe find a tank you like in the member tank section, see what they have opted for.

But yeah we have all been there with the alk question, the good news is there are amazing tanks at all levels of alk.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is the key in this hobby, if you do water changes, test the replacement water out of the first batch from a new bag or box.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any mix that intends to have 1200 ppm magnesium at 35 ppt.

Home magnesium testing is very prone to error.
I was sceptical myself, and had my lfs do the test also with a different brand testkit and got the same result. It might not be completely accurate, but still seems low.
Even if the test shows a lower reading, why would another mix have 1600+?

I guess for now I'll stick with my current mix as price is fair and will be able to buy it even during most hollidays etc. I can always supplement Mg. if needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sceptical myself, and had my lfs do the test also with a different brand testkit and got the same result. It might not be completely accurate, but still seems low.
Even if the test shows a lower reading, why would another mix have 1600+?

I guess for now I'll stick with my current mix as price is fair and will be able to buy it even during most hollidays etc. I can always supplement Mg. if needed.

IMO, I'd far rather start with 1200 ppm (if real) and boost it, than be permanently stuck with 1600 ppm plus.

That said, most salt mixes are in the 1250 to 1400 ppm magnesium range, and that is fine.

Really, do not assume the LFS is accurate either, especially if they use the same brand kit. many magnesium kits are off, and the Red Sea seems to cause an especially large number of problem readings.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I'd far rather start with 1200 ppm (if real) and boost it, than be permanently stuck with 1600 ppm plus.

That said, most salt mixes are in the 1250 to 1400 ppm magnesium range, and that is fine.

Really, do not assume the LFS is accurate either, especially if they use the same brand kit. many magnesium kits are off, and the Red Sea seems to cause an especially large number of problem readings.
The test was made with different brands, and brand new testkits. It could very well not be that accurate.
And yes. Adding Mg to the mix is easy enough, and Kh 10 and ca 450 is fine.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. But, wouldn't you want Ca and Mg to match also?
Personally I get salt that mixes to the Mg and Ca that I want to run. I mix a month's worth of saltwater at a time. The Alk is going to drop, so I use Sodium Bicarbonate before my water changes to bring it up to where I want it. This is the cheapest and easiest method I have found.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test was made with different brands, and brand new testkits. It could very well not be that accurate.
And yes. Adding Mg to the mix is easy enough, and Kh 10 and ca 450 is fine.

I personally think 1200 ppm is unlikely in any salt mix if you really are at 35 ppt, but raising it by 100 ppm is fine, even if it really is already 1300 ppm. :)

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think 1200 ppm is unlikely in any salt mix if you really are at 35 ppt, but raising it by 100 ppm is fine, even if it really is already 1300 ppm. :)
True. It will be hard to find a testkit that is trustworthy accurate (human error is also possible).
Could magnesium collect at the lower part of a bucket of salt? I cannot say if the samples was taking from a mix that hasn't been mixed up after shipment.

Personally I get salt that mixes to the Mg and Ca that I want to run
I might not be able to. Not that many options here.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. It will be hard to find a testkit that is trustworthy accurate (human error is also possible).
Could magnesium collect at the lower part of a bucket of salt? I cannot say if the samples was taking from a mix that hasn't been mixed up after shipment.

A salt bucket can settle inhomogeneously, yes.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a simple way to lower the Dkh using an acid for swimming pools. A lot of reefers who use Instant Ocean use it because it mixes to 11. Sorry I don't remember which chemical they use. But that is another option. Raising Mg or Ca for me can get expensive quickly, that's why prefer to raise or lower the Dkh.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a simple way to lower the Dkh using an acid for swimming pools. A lot of reefers who use Instant Ocean use it because it mixes to 11. Sorry I don't remember which chemical they use. But that is another option. Raising Mg or Ca for me can get expensive quickly, that's why prefer to raise or lower the Dkh.

Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) or sodium bisulfate both work to lower alk in seawater.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a good idea to check which components I can easily / cheap get a hold on.
Increasing Mg. would be a bad approach if I can't get it locally.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering. Do you know how to dose it? A link to an article would be awesome.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are the best!

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg and Ca are available from different sources not always associated with the hobby. @Randy Holmes-Farley has a number of DIY recipes with sources here in the states. You might be able to find suitable replacements in Denmark. Sorry I don't have the links. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back