Salt related questions

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, have 2 questions regarding salt which my LFS not able to explain:
1. Is it a bad practice to add salt directly (without pre-mixing in water) into the tank? Any explanations as to why?
2. Is it required to keep the pre-mixed salt water for sometime (up to 24 hours were suggested) before adding it into the tank? Any benefits in doing so?

Thank you very much.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ludder, thank you. Any reasons you could share for 1?
in part, because direct unmixed salt will burn corals and fish, and also how would you keep the parameters right? it'll settle on the bottom of tank, why would you? it's not that hard to mix a bucket of salt in fresh RODI water....?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the short response, on point 2. 24 hours is a good amount of time to mix salt water for, but if you can't, using preheated ro water and mixing the day of your water change is possible. The longer you leave it mixing, the more accurate you can match the specific gravity to your desired level, which increases your chances of maintaining a really stable environment.
Corals had swings, specifically SPS, so stability is king.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in part, because direct unmixed salt will burn corals and fish, and also how would you keep the parameters right? it'll settle on the bottom of tank, why would you? it's not that hard to mix a bucket of salt in fresh RODI water....?
Interesting, thanks.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about for a water change? If so then it is more than just the salt and water. You need the water to hit a similar temperature, which will dissolve the salt the proper salinity. Additionally mixing with a pump to achieve the right distribution throughout the water you are adding is also important.

Having said all of this it also depends on what you are doing? Adding 4 gallons to a 200 gallon system, 24 hours would not be required. adding 40 gallons though I would get the temp and mixing done for a day.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the short response, on point 2. 24 hours is a good amount of time to mix salt water for, but if you can't, using preheated ro water and mixing the day of your water change is possible. The longer you leave it mixing, the more accurate you can match the specific gravity to your desired level, which increases your chances of maintaining a really stable environment.
Corals had swings, specifically SPS, so stability is king.
Thanks. So, it is ok to mix salt in preheated water (my RO filter system does dispense preheated water).. should i be concerned about the max temperature i should mix the salt at?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So, it is ok to mix salt in preheated water (my RO filter system does dispense preheated water).. should i be concerned about the max temperature i should mix the salt at?

I'd read the instructions carefully for whatever salt mix your wanting to use. For NeoMarine they recommend having heated water for mixing and say to never ever mix it in the aquarium with live inhabitants right on the bucket, They also strongly recommend 24 hours to clear. At the very bottom mine has the warning not to handle with wet hands as it will get hot on your skin while rehydrating.

I don't heat my water tho lol.. but I wait almost 7 days typically before using because I'll mix 100 gallons at once.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about for a water change? If so then it is more than just the salt and water. You need the water to hit a similar temperature, which will dissolve the salt the proper salinity. Additionally mixing with a pump to achieve the right distribution throughout the water you are adding is also important.

Having said all of this it also depends on what you are doing? Adding 4 gallons to a 200 gallon system, 24 hours would not be required. adding 40 gallons though I would get the temp and mixing done for a day.
Thanks lefkonj, very informative.. very different to what i am doing now.
1. In my case for every water change i do mix the salt in RO water upfront (normally a few hours before) and will try to get the right salinity level. However i won't be too worried about temperature (but it should be at room temperature before adding it in).
2. In the case of water top up I normally add RO water (which will a small amount, directly into the tank) and i don't normally add/mix salt if my salt level is already at optimal level.

Please suggest if the above are not the right way of doing it, thanks.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd read the instructions carefully for whatever salt mix your wanting to use. For NeoMarine they recommend having heated water for mixing and say to never ever mix it in the aquarium with live inhabitants right on the bucket, They also strongly recommend 24 hours to clear. At the very bottom mine has the warning not to handle with wet hands as it will get hot on your skin while rehydrating.

I don't heat my water tho lol.. but I wait almost 7 days typically before using because I'll mix 100 gallons at once.
Thanks, and a good reminder to revisit the instructions and the fine prints... will do that first.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks lefkonj, very informative.. very different to what i am doing now.
1. In my case for every water change i do mix the salt in RO water upfront (normally a few hours before) and will try to get the right salinity level. However i won't be too worried about temperature (but it should be at room temperature before adding it in).
2. In the case of water top up I normally add RO water (which will a small amount, directly into the tank) and i don't normally add/mix salt if my salt level is already at optimal level.

Please suggest if the above are not the right way of doing it, thanks.
For top off I would just use RO water, no salt at all, since the salt is still in the water just H2O has evaporated.
With regards to water change, as I said it depends on what percentage of the total volume you are changing. Other than that seems fine

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) yes
Undissolved salt will burn anything it comes in contact with , and how do you know how much salt is needed ?
2) every bucket has directions with their recommendations of how long to mix . And it’s sometimes cloudy when first mixed

I’ve never measured but I was always led to believe the alk of new water is high and mixing lowers a little .

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For top off I would just use RO water, no salt at all, since the salt is still in the water just H2O has evaporated.
With regards to water change, as I said it depends on what percentage of the total volume you are changing. Other than that seems fine
Thank you again

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way to keep numbers the same while doing water changes
1. Mix your dry salt unless using the entire container.
2. weight the salt you are going to use. That way you know exactly how much salt your adding to the fresh water . This is where adjustments can be made. Food grade scale can be purchased on line.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) yes
Undissolved salt will burn anything it comes in contact with , and how do you know how much salt is needed ?
2) every bucket has directions with their recommendations of how long to mix . And it’s sometimes cloudy when first mixed

I’ve never measured but I was always led to believe the alk of new water is high and mixing lowers a little .
Thank you. And reading the instructions on the bucket surely reiterated what many had said above.... i am using salt from Red Sea and the first instruction is to not to mix the salt directly into the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back